Thursday's firmware 3.21 update closes Security concerns on older PS3

cg010169

DW Regular
Reaction score
PS3 Firmware 3.21 will be available this Thursday. It will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, we’re now removing this feature.

For most of you, this won’t have any impact on how you use your PS3. If you are one of the few who use the “Other OS” feature, or if you belong to an organisation that does, then you can choose not to upgrade your system. However, doing so will mean that the following features will not be available:

* Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat.
* Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later.
* Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings).
* Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later.

If you currently use the “Other OS” feature and you wish to update to system software 3.21, make sure you back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

source
PS3 Firmware 3.21 Coming April 1st – PlayStation.Blog.Europe

This is bad news as if you read it, says it's for "Security concerns" So this could be how they end people doing a future hack as now you won't beable to have linux on the ps3, so no back door in a way to the other side of the system.

sad, but it shows that sony are taking this threat seriously !

i dont use linux on my ps3, but i know a few people who do. and this wont go down to well with them.

pretty bad to remove a feature like this.

this is well out of order,there removing features from what would be the majority of there biggest fans-those who had to have it launch and paid the premium for it

it was advertised as a feature and should stay-i dont use it myself-but the fact its there and the ps2 bc is why i got a 60gb one rather than a slim

if this comes to pass i reckon it wont be long before they remove bc from older consoles--just intime for them releasing ps2 classics on psn-then they will start charging for the psn

Could be an April Fools joke but I doubt it.

Assuming this is going ahead on April 1st, I have to tell you outside of your own personal opinion that it's not out of order. I agree that it sucks, but it's not out of order. I'm not exactly preaching to the choir here quite the opposite in fact but to everyone else that knows why they're removing OtherOS it's totally understandable. The fact is that the console security has been compromised via that function, a function which is currently prevalent on a console type that's ceased production. All PS3's are made now without OtherOS feature and this was before the hack, since then the hack came to light on the older machines so why not lock those down? Standards for me. Not even close to being out of line, quite the opposite considering the very specific facts behind the matter.

I do agree though that they'll soon be putting PS2 classics on the PSN and charging for those, and I think they'll announce it at E3 and start the service in the last quarter of the year, but I don't think they'll charge for PSN, not like Microsoft do with their service - reason being is that the general consensus is that the PSN isn't as good as XBL so who's gonna pay for it to play online when they were previously getting it free? Fanboys aside I mean, everyone else will just get a 360 in that case. In that position I'd do the same if I was a massive online player so I can see that perspective. That's just like handing the competition a slice of your customers and saying help yourself is what that would be.

I think they'll charge for certain things or improvements, similar to how they do now, but the current state of free online play on PS3 will always be free I think. Any other move is just dumb on Sony's part in my opinion.

raven do you genuinley belive that or do you just disagree for the sake of it

its out of order because sony advertised the fact it could run otheros out of the box-in the early days it was one of there seling points for the ps3-wether the security is compromised or not its taking away an advertised feature for the early adopters,and didnt sony get some kind of tax break in the uk for it having this feature too

if it is to plug an apparent security hole they should patch the hole not remove the complete feature-wether its now an outdated style or not sony sold it with this feature and told people that the console had a 10 year life so people had the right to expect it for 10 years at least

as for the other points-sony are proven liars in the past(which is pretty much common knowledge so i wont list a load),especialy when it comes to ps3,they did say that the other os feature wouldnt be removed-it looks very much like its being removed

they have also said they wouldnt charge for psn-doesnt exactally bode well now does it

Console compromise, between that and the fact not many people used Linux anyway and that the Slim doesn't have it either is the reason it's being removed from the discontinued systems. I don't know what you're so bothered for you don't even use it on PS3 whereas I did and I'm not bothered that they took it out given the specific reason for it. It sucks but you don't see me crying about it. And yes they said they wouldn't remove it and they have, though they wouldn't be the first company to lie to their customers and they won't be the last and more to the point I don't believe I've ever accused Sony of being straight laced in the first place despite what you like to believe about my apparent fanboyism.....

Just so we're clear, I'm not 100% defending Sony on this one because I'm not a Sony fanboy and more to the point they aren't 100% innocent, in fact it sucks that I chose to do the update knowing the choice and consequence that I had and yet that's literally all the update does is take Linux option away - but what really sucks is the fact that I don't even get my 10gig back - so Linux is obviously still there but I can't use it....and that's absolute bullshit.

So while the implementation is pure dogshit on Sony's part which is inexcusable since literally all they did was black out the options from the menu, I do understand the reason behind the instigation which is totally understandable all things considered in this case. Because you know as well as I do that they plug the hole and the hackers just find another one in time, only way to get rid is to take away totally and you'd do the same if you were in their shoes as would I. The only thing I'm pissed about is that I just think it since there's been no update since last summer it wouldn't have hurt to include other features in the update or at the very least to erase the Linux partition for you so you get your space back after the update!

I can see why people are upset, but let's face it A) it was always on the cards from the moment the hack was made public and B) most of those people complaining never even used it - they're pissed just because, like they ever needed a reason - but yeah I can also see why Sony locked it down and got rid too. They just couldn't have done a much worse job of it without bricking PS3's in my view.

As for the 10 year life cycle thing, come on. Please. You don't really buy into that. For starters your 1 console won't last 10 years. Not since the N64 days has that happened for any console. And secondly, they might support it for 10 years like they did for the PS2 but that doesn't mean to say they'll not add or remove features in that time like they have done at their discretion by the way and it also doesn't mean there won't be a Playstation4 within 5 years. It literally just means they'll keep releasing games for the system while ever it's still selling. Unlike Microsoft, speaking of which just so you know they're shutting down XBL servers for oldie Xbox totally in April.....which sucks for people with Xbox who like to play Burnout3 and PES5 online not to mention the original Halo's.

Last edited:
I fully agree with Violentj.

I own an original 60Gb model and I paid for all the features it comes with.
I've installed Linux on and off the HDD a few times and I enjoy having it as a feature.

I'm pissed off that SONY are going to take it away from me and if I dissagree then they won't allow me to play new game releases, that's bollox IMO.

@ Raven, maybe if SONY did charge for PSN then the service would start improving, there's nothing magical about XBOX Live, it's a simple case of you getting what you pay for.

Last edited:
I own an original 60Gb model and I paid for all the features it comes with.
I've installed Linux on and off the HDD a few times and I enjoy having it as a feature.

I'm pissed off that SONY are going to take it away from me and if I dissagree then they won't allow me to play new game releases, that's bollox IMO.

@ Raven, maybe if SONY did charge for PSN then the service would start improving, there's nothing magical about XBOX Live, it's a simple case of you getting what you pay for.

I agree totally with that part, except the PSN has already been improving over the years as it should have. But I see what you're saying, in fact that's probably what they'll end up doing is charging for the premium service (ease of use,cross game chat etc) and keep basic online play if you will totally free.

As for the other stuff, again I see what you're saying, everyone is being punished for the sake of 1 idiot. Figure of speech. But it happens and it never sucks any less when it does occur. You might even say that's life. But it's a bit selfish to play the me me me game when your PS3 version has been defunct for months and they decide to remove a rarely used feature on it for the sake of console security. It's a bum deal no doubt, but come on....anyone that used Linux on PS3 exclusively had to have been masochistic and most people never used it full stop. I can see both sides of the argument for sure, but you're only pissed cos it's being taken away and not necessarily cos you'll miss it.

True.

But I'm a nerd. :)

I like to dabble with Linux on the PS3.

If I'm honest, your last sentence has summed it up perfectly, for me anyway.

Back