Subwoofer Problem

Sumphucker

Member ++
Reaction score
Ok, new to this AV stuff, got myself a nice set of Sony Surround Sound Speakers with Subwoofer from eBay for £30 to add to my Pioneer AV Receiver. I've connected up all the speakers except the Sub, there is only 1 port labelled for a Sub and it says Subwoofer Pre Out but it takes some sort of plug, my Sub only has the spring tabs where you have to bare the wires and insert into the hole. Does this mean I can't use the Sub at all?

That wont work at all im afraid, The sub you have is passive (not got a mains plug on it) therefore the speakers you got on ebay were originally from an all in one system of some type. The sub that the pioneer wants is a powered kind as the amp is sending out line level.

If I were you I would seriously consider buying another set of speakers that are more suitable. The VSX519 is a very good amp and deserves some half decent speakers IMO

You should be able to wire this up using the speaker outputs. Wire the speakers up as normal then use the +ve from one speaker to the +ve on the sub and -ve from the other speaker to the -ve on the sub. You will only get sub sounds from the left and right fronts this way though.

It might not work mind :tongue: It will alter the impedance of the system and you might need some kind of crossover.

you can get a 300 watt LG blu ray home reciever DVD player from currys with a 6 speaker surround system for £120 might save you alot of hassle

Another edit. Does the sub have connections like this
A.jpg
?

If so, feed the speaker output from the amp into the hi level in then feed the outs to your speakers.

Last edited:
you can get a 300 watt LG blu ray home reciever DVD player from currys with a 6 speaker surround system for £120 might save you alot of hassle

Yeah but I already have a Sony blu ray player which I got with my plasma so no need, hence I just wanted a set of speakers

Back