Sensible Topic Structured Products...

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
...it's what the banks and financial advisers will sell your parents. Supposedly low risk and ideal for the olders....

...Problem is, they do good returns provided the FTSE doesn't dip on the maturity date.

These are a really bad deal for your elder relatives - so watch out.

Don't blame the bank! People need to take responsibility for their actions. If they didn't know what they were buying, then they shouldn't have bought it! Caveat emptor / let the buyer beware. Read the terms and small before you buy.

- gsxr , Uckfield, United Kingdom, 06/3/2013 23:11

The role of a financial adviser is to make money FROM the client, not necessarily FOR the client.
KevinBailey , Cambridge, 06/3/2013 22:55

taken from the comments in your link.
says it all really.

I have to agree is is theft, just like the endowments the financial services sold everyone with mortgages in the 80s. They illustrated the returns as a low and high value range yet were able to say sorry its worth nothing now so thanks for all the payments you have made.

It stinks, they should have been liable for the shortfalls below the minimum they projected the product would return. It seems its always the public that get shafted and never the people who are selling this snake oil. Even if they do get fined its less than the total profits they made so there is no incentive to be prudent.

It's a touchy subject, but I tend to agree with Firemouth on this one. People should take more responsibility for their financial decisions.

I've never been able to make a PPI claim because I was never daft enough to pay it in the first place. Go figure. :Fish:

It's a touchy subject, but I tend to agree with Firemouth on this one. People should take more responsibility for their financial decisions.

While I agree to an extent, I would expect the seller to understand the product, they don't. They are supposed to be for risk-averse investors but they are usually tied into a single 'investment grade' provider like Lehman's (oops, didn't they go bust?) and are not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

I know, no investment vehicles are covered by this scheme but that is precisely why you spread your risk i.e. a range of defensive shares. In fact, such a range of shares would give you a better, lower-risk return over the same period. Further, investors are led to believe that structured products are extremely diverse, but this is true only for the provider, not the investor. You can't over-earn because they will usually auto-mature - before they have to give you too much in profits.

The marketing blurb says the things like "...if you invested £100 in the Stock Market in 1900, it would be worth £10,000 today..." (numbers rounded for simplicity) which is true but makes it look like your gain would have been 100x but the £s are different and the truth is you would have averaged between 1.5% and 1.7% depending which figures you believe.

So yes, people have to take more responsibility. They need to do more research. However, it's not as simple as asking questions and reading the terms and conditions.

As some relatives of mine discovered...

Soap-box away now :)

Then you miss the entire point of my post - older people trust banks and don't understand 'small print'.

It's theft, fraud, but it's legal :(
fraid not.
dont understand something?
then leave it alone!!!!!!!

if they have lived that long, they should know most businesses are con merchants. especially those purveying "financial products"

dont buy if you dont understand, its a simple enough rule.
still greed will do that to you.
but still only the buyer is to blame.

Forgive me if I bow out at this point - it was always just about raising a warning flag :)

Back