Stolen credit card details on ps3

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Reports claim that the personal information compromised by the PSN breach are up for sale by hackers.

The speculation originates with TrendMicro security expert Kevin Stevens, who has been tracking conversations on hacker forums regarding the PSN breach. Stevens tweeted earlier today that the PSN hackers had obtained the PSN database of 2.2 million users' personal information.

This included users' first name, last name, address, zip code, country, phone, email address, email password and date of birth as well as credit card number, CCV security code and expiration date.

These reports gained traction when independent security blogger Brian Krebs posted screenshots of what appeared to be four hackers discussing the database.

Allegedly, the hackers are attempting to sell the database for upwards of $100,000. One forum member even suggested to Stevens that the hackers had approached Sony to buy back the database, but did not receive a response.

Speaking with The New York Times, Sony senior director of corporate communications Patrick Seybold said: "To my knowledge there is no truth to the report that Sony was offered an opportunity to purchase the list.

"The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken."

It is possible that the hackers are making false claims about the database of 2.2 million users. The most questionable details are that of the stolen email passwords and CCV security codes, neither of which are collected or stored by Sony.

Though users are required to input their CCV code when signing up for a PSN account, Sony has stated on the PlayStation Blog that CCV codes are not stored anywhere in its database. Even if the hackers did obtain the PSN database information and decrypt the credit card details, CCV codes would not be there.

Whether the hackers are boasting, embellishing or simply lying about the database of 2.2 million users has yet to be determined.

It is advised that users with PSN accounts refer to Sony's FAQ to help protect themselves in light of the PSN breach.

Sent using tapatalk.

If they are trying to flog such a thing then they are idiots. The money trail will just get them caught quicker !

If they are trying to flog such a thing then they are idiots. The money trail will just get them caught quicker !

Your assuming the money is "in the system" for example cash collected from the sale of illegal drugs is NOT "in the system", until it is laundered.

I cancelled my credit card on Wednesday...... Ain't taking no chances

Sent using tapatalk.

Your assuming the money is "in the system" for example cash collected from the sale of illegal drugs is NOT "in the system", until it is laundered.

If you deal with the kind of people that have £100k of spare 'untraceable' cash lying around then there's a good chance your going to end up feeding the fishes !

If you deal with the kind of people that have £100k of spare 'untraceable' cash lying around then there's a good chance your going to end up feeding the fishes !

I know that and you know that, but desperate people take chances, especially when there are large sums of money involved.

Then there's a good chance your going to end up feeding the fishes !

My mate said it's 'sleeping with the fishes'. Coincidently,he's taking me sea fishing on his luxury yacht tomorrow. Asked me to pick up a bag of cement on the way to make a temporary anchor with as his other one is being repaired or something!! Must be an old nautical trick.

Well, anyway, I know he's being a good mate and everything taking me fishing and that, but tomorrow, when we're quite far out, I'm going to shoot him in the face and chop him up into a bucket of chum; he owes me a couple grand for a few K's of skag you see. :night:

I cancelled my credit card on Wednesday...... Ain't taking no chances

Sent using tapatalk.

Dont have a ps3 but do you guys with them actually use a credit card through that anyway as thats just mad as a ps3 would never have the security you would expect.

On the other hand i suppose you could claim sony lol if there was an issue but i i certainly would,nt take the chance in the first place using a credit card via a games console pmsl.

Back