steal less than £39000 per year you will not go to jail .oh you have to be a Somali

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know its the daily mail but even so this is effing ridiculous.

Judge Hagen was appointed by that nice Mr Blair I assume she is friends with his wife as this is the sort of case she normally defends.

Somali benefits cheat who swindled £39,000 to support two families is spared jail because it will cost taxpayer the same amount again if he's locked up

Karmal Mustafa was let off a one year prison term because he had cost the public purse enough, Judge Hagen said
Mustafa claimed benefits for being unable to work - but had a job all the time

By Martin Robinson

PUBLISHED: 09:11, 10 September 2012 | UPDATED: 14:20, 10 September 2012

Free man: Judge Hagen said that Mustafa should not be jailed because it would just cost the taxpayer even more money

A Somali benefits cheat has been spared jail because the judge sentencing him said the cost of locking him up for a year would be the same as the amount he swindled.

Karmal Mustafa dishonestly claimed £38,856.50 of income support, council tax and housing benefit while working over a seven-year period to support two families.

He told investigators the money he was sending overseas helped support his sick father - but then told his barrister his father and mother had both been killed in front of his eyes in Somalia 14 years ago.

But despite this discrepancy Judge Carol Hagen told Bristol Crown Court that he would not go to prison.

'£39,000 is what it costs to keep one man in prison for a year. Do I wish to burden the state further with another £38,000 to £40,000, much as I think it is deserved?' she said.

Instead the judge handed Mustafa a 24-week suspended sentence, ordered him to carry out 250 hours of unpaid work and pay £250 costs.

The court heard 29-year-old Mustafa was using his dual income to support two families - one in his native Somalia and one in Bristol.

Simon Emslie, prosecuting, said Mustafa fraudulently obtained £25,676.20 in income support between 2004 and last year.

He said that over the same time, Mustafa pocketed £10,297.49 in housing benefit and £2.882.81 in council tax benefit.

The court heard the benefits were claimed on the basis Mustafa was unfit to work, but he had actually had a job.

He managed to evade detection because of inadequate employers’ records and by giving different addresses, bank account and national insurance numbers, Mr Emslie said.

Mustafa told the Department for Work and Pensions he had worked since 2004 and he did not inform them because he was regularly sending £800 to £1,000 to Somalia to support his family, including his father, who had cancer.

The court heard he had paid back £200 in income support and £520 in council tax benefit.
Scam: Bristol Crown Court, pictured, heard how the Somali man was pocketing benefits for not being able to work while having a job

Scam: Bristol Crown Court, pictured, heard how the Somali man was pocketing benefits for not being able to work while having a job

Judge Hagen asked Paul Cook, defending: 'If he was sending £800 to £1,000 to Somalia, why is he not paying that to the Department for Work and Pensions?'

Mr Cook said his client had only been able to do that because he was living off his fraudulent benefits, and sending his earnings out of the UK.

Mr Cook described Mustafa’s early life in Somalia as 'hell', and said he had seen his mother and father killed when he was aged 15, and seen his brothers and sisters killed a year later.

The court heard that in 2005 Mustafa married a girl from his village, who gave birth to twins who both died - one of them three days before the hearing.

Mustafa now has two children and one on the way with another woman, who came to the UK in 2007, does not speak English and is 'utterly dependant' on him, Mr Cook said.

Judge Hagen asked: “Why is it that a man facing serious criminal charges embarks on a third child? It seems seriously irresponsible.”

Mr Cook said: 'He only intended one child.'

The judge replied: 'He’s a grown man. He can take his own preventative measures.'

Somali benefits cheat who swindled £39,000 to support two families is spared jail because it will cost taxpayer the same amount again if he's locked up | Mail Online

Re: steal less than £39000 per year you will not go to jail .oh you have to be a Soma

They can save further money by deporting him and his Bristol based family.

Re: steal less than £39000 per year you will not go to jail .oh you have to be a Soma

and not even deported no the wonder this country is going downhill and fast

Whilst his personal circumstances are tragic, it's not an excuse (as harsh as that sounds) plus there are other forms of punishment other than prison, I know it doesn't make up for the swindling, but community service etc, some kind of recourse surely rather than just letting him off.

What kind of message does that send to other benefit cheats!

Whilst his personal circumstances are tragic,

eeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr no they are not tragic at all he is a llieing twot that should be stuck on the first plane out
if you wonder why i say lieing i mean not only about the benefits but also about his family feck him first plane goodbye

eeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr no they are not tragic at all he is a llieing twot that should be stuck on the first plane out
if you wonder why i say lieing i mean not only about the benefits but also about his family feck him first plane goodbye

I meant in terms of within Somalia, not UK.

sorry but i was pointing out that he stated to one he was sending money to his father then to another he says his mother and father were killed so how are we to believe there is any truth in any part of his story ?

I was going to add that to my original post, because it could have just been a method to detract from the actual truth. There is no way of knowing, and if that is truly a lie it's a more despicable act.

Karmal Mustafa, Somali Benefit Cheat.
Mustafa kick up the arse......................He obviously came here as an Asylum Seeker, he has obviously lied to enter the country, he has then lied and defrauded the system. Not just the Benefits system but Housing and any other service that he and his family have used, so it is much more far reaching.
He and his family should be Deported immediately and the Judge Carol Hagan should be suspended for failing to perform her job properly.

If any child is born in this country they can't be deported so he probably won't no matter what we think and Immigration itself is going to be the hottest generational topic we have to deal with in regard to labour. So don't believe the lie when politicians say they are needed to do jobs the indigenous people of this country won't do it's they will just do it cheaper. With waiters and waitresses still getting paid part of there minimum wage in tips what do you think is worth more a higher pay rate for shovelling shit or talking shit in the Houses of Parliament ?.

Deport the fooker to Leicester, it's about time we bulit a wall around that dump.

this did set me off on one this morning :) it was picked up by other papers not just the Mail but just out of interest google
Judge Hagen dear me the woman is not living in the real world that you and i live in....... i would if i was ever in the situation that i was going to have to go to trial i would be begging my brief to try his hardest to get this Judge.

i am non-political in most respects but i think all towns that have a crown court and or above should have elected Judges, it would get rid of the likes of
Judge Hagen

is it not still illegal to have 2 wives in the uk ???bigamy i believe it is called

he said he was sending money home to his ma n pa then said they had been dead for years...found out for definate where the money went as it might be in a bank somewhere and we can confiscate it back of the sponging lyeing C N U T

his new wife needs him to look after her as she is dependant on him....easy go back to somalia with him and look after each other!!

his kids born here are british(my arse they are)and cannot be deported (how do we even know they are his as his mum and dad are both dead and recieving money from him every month and even if they are his deport him and his wives and they should take their brats with them hopefully :)

as for the judge..living in cloud fecking cuckoo land i think

it is about time we regrew some bollox in this country and started either deporting these feckers or just dont give them benefits for managing to hold onto the underside of artic for a couple of hours...stop the free ride and hopefully stop the flood of scum wanting to come here

can we move this to the rant room so i can really go off on one please :)

Back