Sony talks up PS3 motion wand prospects

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
Sony Computer Entertainment America executive John Koller has claimed that the PS3's forthcoming new motion controller will outperform its rivals.

In 2010, all three console platform holders will have motion control options available on the market for the first time ever. However, Koller said that Microsoft's upcoming Xbox Natal device and Nintendo's existing Wii system will not be able to match the PS3's wand from a "differentiation standpoint".

Speaking to GamePro, Koller revealed that Sony views the potential of motion control as being "much more than what exists on the market". He also said that the "Holy Grail" of video gaming involves placing the player physically into the action.

"When we provide further details, people will see exactly where we're going, not only from a technological standpoint on the hardware, but also where the gameplay is transitioning. It's going to be a really exciting launch," he explained.

"In terms of the best types of games, I'd say that right now we're looking a real wide variety of genres that can utilise the technology. I think the areas that are going to be really critical to our success will be family games, as well as shooters and sports games.

"Those are going to be the areas that will really define success, because they're areas that quite honestly, I think Project Natal and the Wii are going to have trouble matching, from a differentiation standpoint."

Alongside launching the motion controller next year, Sony intends to further develop the PlayStation Network and drive forward innovation in the emerging 3D gaming space.

Koller said that PS3 owners should expect lots of firmware updates on the PSN in the "foreseeable future" as more new features and functions are introduced.

Last week, Electronic Arts chief executive John Riccitiello reportedly revealed that the PS3 motion wand will be called the 'Gem'.

Gaming - News - Sony talks up PS3 motion wand prospects - Digital Spy

Back