SB5100E Guide.

Wanyib

Inactive User
Reaction score
I made this guide after having trouble getting Sigma to work. I have pre-setup the files at the bottom for your conveniance. All you have to do is follow the instruction below and you'll be online in under an hour.

It is possible to get online withing 5mins! If you have a working MAC, hopefully it will be 10MB, that you wish to use just use the Blackcat cable to change the MAC. Done! You don't even need to change the firmware!

But if you don't have a working MAC, or don't have a 10MB MAC, you can still get 10MB by doing the following:

Connect your Blackcat cable and go to the 'Flash' tab and click on detect to make sure everything is ok and the chip is detected.

You now have 3 choices:

1) You can click on the 'Read All' button to save your modems current firmware, bootloader etc to your computer for backup purposes should anything go wrong. This is purely optional.

2) If you are in TW or N*L area download the file named '5100-SIGMA-1.6-RC4' from the bottom of this tutorial and extract it. Then click the 'Write All' button and choose the extracted file you just downloaded.

3) If you are in Ex C&W area download the file named '5100E-SIGMA-1.6-RC4' from the bottom of this tutorial and extract it. Then click the 'Write All' button and choose the extracted file you just downloaded.

The file will take around 30 - 40mins to load into your modem so if you have something else you need to do then you may as well go and do it.

When the file has written to the modem reboot the modem and hook up your coax and ethernet connection.

Open your internet browser and type in '192.168.100.1' which will take you to the Sigma configuration page.

You now need to enter a valid working MAC in the 'HFC MAC Addr:' box and click change. Once the MAC has changed you can unplug your modem and reboot it. I found that using the reboot button on the Sigma page can lock up the modem so try not to use it.

:banana:Congratulations your now online!:banana: If you want more speed just enter the name of the config file you would like to use in the 'Config File:' box, e.g. 'cmreg-ntlhm120-bund03.cm', and click change. Then reboot your modem again, once the config file has taken, by unpluging it and pluging it back in. :banana:Congratulations you have now upped your modems speed!:banana:

EDIT: The Sigma firmware seems to be VERY tempremental. If you change settings and can no longer get online and you know your MAC works it may help you to reflash the bootloader, (SIGMAX-BL_v2.6-LITE), below.

Last edited:
I'm gonna try it now.
That'a above and beyond the call of duty wanyib thanks ver much mate.
I think tcniso should pay DW for thier after sales service.
i put up a tut someone did on ther just for the hell of it and they turned it into a sticky!!
How long has sigma been out and no-one on there has offered anything remotly like it.

I'm going out in a while and so it should be all done when i come back.
It will take my mind off my dead sb4200i.
Cheers mate

No worries, I wouldn't know what I know now without you guys and this site.

Gonna work on fixing my dead 4200 next, well maybe in the new year when I have finished partying, depends how much free time I get but I will let you know how it goes....

No probs. I don't think you can go wrong with the way I have set it all up.

I tested mine by putting it back to it's origional state and flashing it with the files I made up and it worked as soon as I changed the MAC.

If only others would be as helpfull as me.....lol

:proud:

It's clever how you did it.
when iput the flash on i noticed it said it was still annex b in the diag page.
Put it on and it automatically changed to euro docsis and gave me an ip with an unreg config.
Changed the mac and it gave me cm light config.
Then the trouble started!!!
I was getting a decent looking ip address but it wouldn't connect to any web pages.
I disabled base line privacy and all the same.
changed the mac with the blackcat and ethernet mac.
will get ip when i reboot it via power supply but no browsing.
I'm not a fan of sigma any how.
I'll have a little play with it and probably go back to moto frimware and stick a high mac on.

I was just thinking?? if you made up your own mac and gave it a config?? would it go online???
Then you would'nt have to worry about scanning and gateways and stuff?

Once you have put a working MAC on and rebooted the modem try disabling your network card then re-enable it and see if that helps.

I thought that you could use any MAC and just get it to pick up a config file too but after reading guide after guide they all say to use a working MAC. Maybe that's because it has to go online using a working MAC to be able to pick up a config file?

Will give it a go and see.

Im on t/w in the se and I followed this It works some times when i unplug my modem and turn it on it wont connect can some one assist me please

First off you need to read the forum rules and introduce yourself properly or your not going to get very far on this forum.

Secondly, if it works sometimes then your lucky. I would recommend that you do NOT ever unplug the modem once it is on and working as like the guide says the Sigma firmware is VERY tempremental.....

sorry ,

What would you recomend to do? Is there antother alternative firmware availible thanks

Wanyib said:
I made this guide after having trouble getting Sigma to work. I have pre-setup the files at the bottom for your conveniance. All you have to do is follow the instruction below and you'll be online in under an hour.

It is possible to get online withing 5mins! If you have a working MAC, hopefully it will be 10MB, that you wish to use just use the Blackcat cable to change the MAC. Done! You don't even need to change the firmware!

But if you don't have a working MAC, or don't have a 10MB MAC, you can still get 10MB by doing the following:

Connect your Blackcat cable and go to the 'Flash' tab and click on detect to make sure everything is ok and the chip is detected.

You now have 3 choices:

1) You can click on the 'Read All' button to save your modems current firmware, bootloader etc to your computer for backup purposes should anything go wrong. This is purely optional.

2) If you are in TW or N*L area download the file named '5100-SIGMA-1.6-RC4' from the bottom of this tutorial and extract it. Then click the 'Write All' button and choose the extracted file you just downloaded.

3) If you are in Ex C&W area download the file named '5100E-SIGMA-1.6-RC4' from the bottom of this tutorial and extract it. Then click the 'Write All' button and choose the extracted file you just downloaded.

The file will take around 30 - 40mins to load into your modem so if you have something else you need to do then you may as well go and do it.

When the file has written to the modem reboot the modem and hook up your coax and ethernet connection.

Open your internet browser and type in '192.168.100.1' which will take you to the Sigma configuration page.

You now need to enter a valid working MAC in the 'HFC MAC Addr:' box and click change. Once the MAC has changed you can unplug your modem and reboot it. I found that using the reboot button on the Sigma page can lock up the modem so try not to use it.

:banana:Congratulations your now online!:banana: If you want more speed just enter the name of the config file you would like to use in the 'Config File:' box, e.g. 'cmreg-ntlhm120-bund03.cm', and click change. Then reboot your modem again, once the config file has taken, by unpluging it and pluging it back in. :banana:Congratulations you have now upped your modems speed!:banana:

EDIT: The Sigma firmware seems to be VERY tempremental. If you change settings and can no longer get online and you know your MAC works it may help you to reflash the bootloader, (SIGMAX-BL_v2.6-LITE), below.

Im in a pure ntl area and have flashed '5100-SIGMA-1.6-RC4' ...The problem I'm having is once I done this , the modem fails to boot. I've installed a new bootloader but having no luck....I've got a intel inside mine if this helps.

lol this post was from december 05 :p not to worry tho uh sigma is a bit crappy tbh at min m8 i never got it working i would stick with stock motorola fw eh :) a lot easier ;@)

Back