Santini at Spurs

D

daing

SANTINI EARNS HIS SPURS
Thursday 3rd June 2004

Tottenham have named France coach Jacques Santini as their new manager for next season.
Santini will take over at White Hart Lane after leading France at Euro 2004.

The move ends a long hunt by Tottenham officials for a new manager with the club being without a permanent replacement since Glenn Hoddle was axed last September.

Santini's future with France was uncertain as his deal was due to expire during the Euro 2004 finals in Portugal and no new deal was offered.

The former Lyon coach has a proven track record having led the club to the French title in 2001 and then guiding Les Bleus on a perfect run through Euro 2004 qualifying.

Santini will form a new coaching set-up at Tottenham alongside Dane Frank Arnesen, who replaced David Pleat at White Hart Lane last month.

The Frenchman is excited at the chance of managing in England.

"I am delighted to get the opportunity to join Tottenham Hotspur.

"I am an ambitious man and it has always been a dream of mine to coach a big English club in the most exciting league in the world.

"Tottenham Hotspur are a very big club, with a wonderful history and great traditions.

"Daniel (Levy, chairman) and Frank have outlined their vision and I share their ambitions.

"I am determined to help the club return to its place amongst the elite and look forward to joining after Euro 2004."

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy was delighted to land someone of the pedigree of Santini to lead the club forward.

"I am delighted Jacques is joining the club," said Levy in a statement.

"He was the outstanding candidate because of his experience, coaching ability and track record at all levels.

"His arrival in addition to that of Frank Arnesen is the direct result of a comprehensive review of the football side of the club.

"We now have a coaching set-up in place that has experience in several different countries and an extensive knowledge of players across the world."

Back