SAFC update

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
Sunderland Transfer Talk

Latest news and gossip from Sunderland.

Latest News:

Bolton's El Hadji Diouf is on the verge of completing a £2.5 million move to the Stadium of Light as Roy Keane continues to reinforce his side, looking to overcome a case of second season syndrome.

Keane could also raid his former club Manchester United for striker Louis Saha, Sunderland have reportedly made a £10 million bid for the Frenchman.

Stewart Downing could make a controversial move across the North-East from Middlesbrough after alerting Sunderland by saying he could leave the Riverside if they fail to match his ambitious of playing in the Champions League.

The club have made a bid of £7 million for Marseille left back Taye Ismaila Taiwo. The 23-year-old was named the African young player of the year in 2006 and could join Younes Kaboul in a retooled Sunderland defence.

However, Kaboul's proposed move to the North East has been cast in doubt after Aston Villa and Portsmouth tabled 11th hour bids for the defender who had been expected for a medical at the Stadium of Light.

Roy Keane will now have to wait anxiously to see if his tireless efforts to convince the player to join the club have been successful.

The club may look to sell midfielder Dickson Ethuhu to finance further signings, Rangers are believed to be interested in the Nigerian.

Sunderland made a bold transfer move when they tabled a joint bid of around £16 million for Kaboul, Teemu Tainio, Pascal Chimbonda (who have both signed) and Steed Malbranque.

Keane has been told that it will cost him £10 million to bring Darren Bent to Sunderland. Spurs are willing to sell the striker as he has failed to make an impact after signing for £16 million last year. An alternative to Bent could be Sheffield United's James Beattie, who would surely snatch the chance at a return to the Premier League.

Keane could be given £50 million to build on his squad after axing many of last year's players. Sunderland will reportedly offer West Ham £3 million for their unhappy winger Luis Boa Morte.

Fantasy Football Most Selected: Daryl Murphy, £3.7m

COMPLETED TRANSFERS

IN

Teemu Tainio Tottenham Undisclosed

Pascal Chimbonda Tottenham Undisclosed

OUT

Andrew Cole Nottm Fst Free

Greg Halford Sheffield U Free

Billy Dennehy Released

Gavin Donoghue Released

Iain Harte Released

Jack Pelter Released

Jake Richardson Released

Stanislav Varga Released

Stephen Wright Released

what was the sunderland score tonight? seen abit of the game why was Gordon not in goals? is he injured or giving other keeper a game or no longer the no1?

Sunderland 1-0 Forest, Gordon was in goal first half Ward came on in second half.

The Manager's View

I thought it was a great night's work.
Forest played some good football but we created lots of chances and we scored a good goal. I'm delighted, I have to say.

I was pleased with the two new lads [Chimbonda and Diouf]. I thought it was a good game for them to make their debuts in. They played about 55 mins so hopefully they will be nice and fresh for Sunday.

Even in their short time at club, we can see the qualities they have, they will be a massive asset to us.
Things are starting to take shape. Steed [Malbranque] went therough today and we're looking at possibly two more, I'll be fairly pleased if that happens.
The Steed deal dragged on a bit but to be fair to him it's a big decision and we had to respect that; we worked hard to make it happen. When you are trying
to get quality players, sometimes it takes time.
It was a great strike from Kieran, with his right foot. We had chances to score more but hopefully that will come, we need to be more clinical.
We know that if Kieran stays fit, he can be a top player. It was only a few years ago that he was in the England squad.
[On choosing to finish the game with 10 men]
It's important we learn to play with 10 men, it was just an experiment I wanted to try for nine or ten minutes. I just wanted to test them - mind I don't think they were too pleased!
Hopefully the fans were pleased, there were a good few of them here and it was good that we scored at their end.
Hopefully they enjoyed it and are looking forward to another good game on Sunday, against a top team.
Thanks for your support,
Roy Keane
Nottingham Forest 0 Sunderland 1

Next match:
Sunderland v Ajax, Saturday August 3, 3pm.

Back