Runaway boy 11, boarded plane and reached Rome with no passport or boarding pass

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
A boy aged 11 was today found to have boarded a British flight and reached Rome without a passport or boarding pass.

Liam Corcoran evaded all security checks at Manchester airport to join the Jet2.com flight unaccompanied.

A major security investigation has been launched and five airport staff are believed to have been suspended, with Transport Secretary Justine Greening describing the incident as a “very serious breach”.

“We take any breach of security very, very seriously,” she told the BBC.

“We are investigating with Manchester airport, and indeed the airline, to find out exactly what happened. We are very keen to find out what has gone on.”

The boy managed to find his way past five security checks at the airport for the flight yesterday afternoon. The captain was only alerted when holidaymakers became concerned when the flight was in the air.

Earlier in the day Liam had run away from his mother as she shopped in Wythenshawe Civic Centre and made his way to the airport where he followed a family in Terminal 1.

Security staff scanned him but did not realise that he was on his own and had no boarding pass. He went unchallenged through further checks before taking his seat after airline staff failed to spot he had no boarding card stub.

They allegedly compounded their mistake by failing to make an accurate headcount, or realise that the numbers of passengers and the boarding cards failed to tally.

Once the alarm was raised during the flight the captain radioed back to Manchester and police were able to contact Liam’s concerned mother and pass on the news of where her son was.

Fellow passenger Sarah Swayne, 26, said: “He was very talkative and seemed quite unfazed by it all. He just sat there chatting away about how he had been trying to run away from home.”

At Fiumicino airport in Rome Liam was asked to stay on the aircraft as the other passengers filed off and last night landed back in Manchester on the return flight where he was met by his mother and interviewed by police.

A Manchester airport spokesman said: “This extremely serious matter is now being urgently investigated.

“It is clear that documentation has not been checked correctly at the boarding gate.”
A spokesman for the airline said: “We are fully investigating the incident as a matter of urgency and the staff involved have been suspended during this investigation.”

Runaway boy 11, boarded plane and reached Rome with no passport or boarding pass - UK - News - Evening Standard

Sorry to be blunt on this but how did an 11 year old kid manage to get away from his mother in a Wythenshawe shopping centre and get on a bus to the Airport in the first place?. Ran away from home before? hmm a case for social services I think?. But wait for being such a good cheeky little tw@ and causing major uproars in Manchester Airport here is your reward. FFS :( Stowaway schoolboy Liam Corcoran-Fort is treated to a private flight by The Sun | The Sun |News. Now where is my baseball bat I fancy a cruise next week. :arrrr:

How long before the muslim terrorist wire some kid up to explode on a flight, now they can see how easy it is to get one on a plane.

Its all down to the Scum who set it all up,
do ya really believe the kid was looking for the loo? :eh?:

This will become a game now for the local dick heads Joe, just to see if they can get a free holiday out of it. Did you see the mothers face trying to look concerned? ffs. I wonder how pints she knocked back before she realised the bratt was missing.

Even if you have paperwork they still don't bother to check anything.
Goldie and myself flew to Alicante last saturday with my granddaughter, she is 6 and autistic and her surname is different and we were not even asked if we had permission to remove her from the country.
I had written permission but I chose not to show it just to see if they would let us through and nobody gave a damn.
I expected to at least have a query about parentage as it's quite obvious I'm a bit old for a 6 year old child.

Back