Row over NZ possum-tossing contest

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
An animal welfare group says it plans to talk to a school in New Zealand which held a possum-tossing contest.

The possums - four-legged squirrel-like marsupials - were dead when they were hurled through the air by students.

But there have been complaints that the contest at Colyton School in Manawatu was unacceptable and encouraged students to mistreat animals.

Possums, which are not native to New Zealand, are seen as a pest in the country.

The event took place at a fund-raising gala on 12 September, after a possum hunt.

School Principal Colin Martin said the event helped children engage with the outdoors and learn about humane ways of killing possums.

The school was in a rural farming area where most of the kids had a good understanding of life and death, he said, and it was about "letting kids be kids".

But the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) said that it had received three complaints about the event.

"While it's technically not illegal, it's morally wrong to throw a dead animal around," local SPCA centre manager Danny Auger told the Manawatu Standard.

"I will be talking with the school and seeing if we can come to some sort of agreement."

In a poll conducted by New Zealand website Stuff, 60% of respondents agreed that the contest was "harmless fun", compared to 40 who thought it was "cruel and disrespectful".

In an opinion piece, deputy editor of the Manawatu Standard Warwick Rasmussen pointed out that Colyton School was not the only school to have carried out such an event.

"There are a number of rural practices, traditional or otherwise, that people from towns and cities would find curious, bizarre and, in some cases, offensive," he commented.

"Conversely, there are things that townies do that fly in the face of the way people in country areas go about their lives."

According to the Department of Conservation, possums have a very damaging effect on New Zealand's ecosystem.

They have no natural predators, as they do in their native Australia, and as a result, they compete with native birds for habitat and destroy native forests, a departmental fact sheet said.

BBC News - Row over NZ possum-tossing contest

Besides the fact that it's a horrible thing to do, how do they know these dead animals weren't carrying all sorts of diseases and bacteria?

Surely not the most sensible thing to do, to get kids to touch dead animals? We were always taught that if we saw a dead animal on the road or whatever never to go near it.

Besides the fact that it's a horrible thing to do, how do they know these dead animals weren't carrying all sorts of diseases and bacteria?

Surely not the most sensible thing to do, to get kids to touch dead animals? We were always taught that if we saw a dead animal on the road or whatever never to go near it.

hmm, sounds like the difference between a townie and countryfolk !

When I was a kid, if you found roadkill etc you were encouraged to take it home for dinner. Rabbits/Pheasents etc were something that were rarely passed up when the opertunity presented.

Most mothers knew if something was too far gone to be turned into stew !

hmm, sounds like the difference between a townie and countryfolk !

When I was a kid, if you found roadkill etc you were encouraged to take it home for dinner. Rabbits/Pheasents etc were something that were rarely passed up when the opertunity presented.

Most mothers knew if something was too far gone to be turned into stew !

was that pre myxomatosis then? ;)

was that pre myxomatosis then? ;)

lol, I might be clocking a bit but i'm not that old !

As country kids though we were taught about such things at school including how to identify symptomatic rabbits. We were also told that the disease was harmless to humans, even if infected meat was eaten but, tbh, you really couldn't mistake an infected rabbit unless it was in the very early stages of infection. Myxo didn't really reduce the number of rabbits taken for the pot because of the disease but rather because they became a bit scarce for a time. Plenty around in my younger days though, - they seemed mostly immune to the disease so you only occasionally saw an infected one.

Most kids in our village could identify dead animals that were safe and those that were to be avoided. It was just a normal part of everyday life.

Last edited:
lol, I might be clocking a bit but i'm not that old !

As country kids though we were taught about such things at school including how to identify symptomatic rabbits. We were also told that the disease was harmless to humans, even if infected meat was eaten but, tbh, you really couldn't mistake an infected rabbit unless it was in the very early stages of infection. Myxo didn't really reduce the number of rabbits taken for the pot because of the disease but rather because they became a bit scarce for a time !

Most kids in our village could identify dead animals that were safe and those that were to be avoided. It was just a normal part of everyday life.

i'm actually not a real townie, my parents are both from the country and we used to spend our holidays on the farm ;) So i have seen animals close up that aren't cats and dogs lol

Hello Possums a cull of pest animals is fine in my eyes and if the kids are having a bit of fun but appreciate the facts behind animal cruelty then what's the harm, lots of countries have obscure animal events look at bull fighting for instance. Used to enjoy a good rabbit or duck when on the farm and i quite agree road kill is good for the table pheasant, deer etc even better if it's still warm mmmm.

We will be able to do badger tossing soon if the culls go ahead ;)

Throwing them around seems a bit of a waste. Increasing the meat contents in School dinners would seem a more useful way of disposing of them !

We've all had out TB jabs so the fact these things are allegedly infected with TB shouldn't bother us too much ;)

Throwing them around seems a bit of a waste. Increasing the meat contents in School dinners would seem a more useful way of disposing of them !

We've all had out TB jabs so the fact these things are allegedly infected with TB shouldn't bother us too much ;)

TB has been making a comeback the last few years, it's rising at an alarming rate, although i don't think it's the badgers responsible for it!

London tuberculosis rates now at Third World proportions

see never thought of that... I will call Jamie....

Back