Ray Manzarek: The Doors Keyboardist Dies

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ray Manzarek, a founding member of 1960s rock group The Doors has died at the age of 74, the group's manager Tom Vitorino has said.

Keyboardist Manzarek died in Rosenheim, Germany, following a battle with bile duct cancer, the band said in a statement.

Singer Jim Morrison and Manzarek formed The Doors in 1965 after a chance meeting at Los Angeles' Venice Beach, and Manzarek's keyboard work would go on to be a touchstone of hits like "Break On Through to the Other Side" and "Light My Fire."

"I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today," The Doors guitarist Robby Krieger said in a statement.

"I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

Manzarek, who was born in Chicago in 1939, is survived by his wife, Dorothy, two brothers, a son, daughter-in-law and three grandchildren.

He died surrounded by his wife and brothers in a clinic in Rosenheim, Germany.

The Doors sold more than a hundred million album worldwide. Singer Jim Morrison died in 1971 aged 27 in Paris of a suspected heart failure.

Source Sky NewsSky News – 23:00 20/05/13

Hi hatab et al,

Very sad news indeed... The Doors have always been my favourite band... I didn't realise that Ray Manzarek was so ill... he was such a gifted keyboard player... his ability to almost instantly interpret and emphasise Jim Morrison's poetry and song lyrics (especially in their live performances) proved to be an integral element in all of their music... I will always remember him for the real enthusiasm he put across in all of his interviews and all of the documentaries made about The Doors... RIP Ray

"The music was new black polished chrome And came over the summer like liquid night..." JDM

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
RIP Ray Manzarek another talented musician that has left the building. :rip:

R.I.P Ray Manzarek.... :rip:

"Break On Through to the Other Side" and "Light My Fire", are two of my favourite songs by The Doors, R.I.P.

yes and people say it Morrisons vocals that made the Doors i am not so sure.

those two tracks you have quoted (both excellent imho) the dominant instrument is the keyboards.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
RIP :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back