[Q] is fixing a slim as easy as a fat PS3

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
mate dropped around last night with his slim, Don't see YLOD or any thing but typical syndrome, turns on and and then beeps and then switches off, any one fixed one ? are they as easy to do as the fat machines? any thing i need to watch out for?

It's less than 6 months old but he's reluctant to send this one back on then back of loosing all his saves of the other machine that he ended up sending back.

tia.

i havent even heard of them suffering the same problems as the old phat models. this is the first i have heard of. as for fixing it, no idea how easy it is

well i'll have a bash post some pictures etc, need a security t08 screwderiver, i have one but you need to get one that has the little hole in the middle of it,if these don't normaly do it, any way to like hard reset then rather than taking it apart..?!?!?

from what i have read, the slim can have a YLOD but it's rare. If a slim has overheated then once switched on it'll beep 3 times before then turning itself off. There is also a power problem with some slims. It's worth checking out youtube as there are some repair guides on there.

yeah thanks matey! will give it a go me thinks, but 1st i have to get it apart! no shops around me had a T8 security screwdriver in stock! all T-10's, the one i need is a T-8 with the little hole in the middle of the end! looks like i'm going to have to order one from fleabay before i even get any where near taking it apart! i'll report back with findings..!

Thanks buddy, just waiting for the T-8 security screwdriver bit set to come and then i can get her open! will have alook through that guide, done quite a few fat ones so if it's the same principal then should be straight forward....cheers

yeah looked through that post and all looks straight forward, fats the same as the slim inside, same principal i guess......thanks mate

ok got my security screwdrivers and opened her up, as you can see there was not a lot of thermal paste on the back top left hand side GPU or Processor (not sure which) so i'm not sure if i should heat gun her or just thermal paste change 1st, don't know if i can be bothered to heat gun her and might damage her more i guess so really thermal pastes change i guess would be in order, hmmm, what you guys think? straight in with the heat gun and thermal or just thermal and put her back together?

Attachments

• IMG_0554.JPG
    IMG_0554.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 4
I would just put new paste on and see how it goes , you can always heat it up later if need be.

yeah i know your right, guess I'll just leave her until tomorrow, and do it the right way, i was just looking for a quick fix, I'll change the paste and give her a whirl, the kid will just have to wait a little longer, no point rushing her, just a question, on the high end processors, like the AMD 3 etc, i notice that the thermal compound does not need to cover the whole chip as the die is in the middle of the processor and that's the only thing that is needed to be covered with thermal paste, (bit of a suprise if you come across one of the new builds) how ever as i say that's PC processors, what's the crack with the new slims though? i was expecting to see a covering of compound all over the chip.......

Ta.

Last edited:
I`m not sure Dibbers , but i always spread my paste all over , whether it`s a xbox , ps3 or pc and never had any problems.

yeah me too, a few month ago i got me self an AMD 3 hex core and nearly set off back down the shops when i opened the CPU cooler as the amount of contact between that and the CPU was minimal and only spread over the CPU about the size of a postage stamp, leaving most of the processor uncovered, how ever that's the way the new CPU's are designed now, that's why i was surprised to see only thermal compound on part of the ps3 chip...ok thanks buddy, I'll work on her tomorrow (trying to sort me bouquets out on me dream..lol)

Thanks againI'llll report back with results...

Back