Power plans Dublin surge

Welshboy Taffy

Inactive User
Reaction score
philtaylor_580342.jpg

Thirteen-time world champion Phil Taylor begins the defence of his SkyBet World Grand Prix title on Monday at the Citywest Hotel in Dublin looking to silence his doubters.

Taylor claimed victory in the double-start event with a 7-4 defeat of Terry Jenkins in the final last October, the seventh time he has won the World Grand Prix in the nine-year history of the event.

But he has not claimed a major title since May this year, having lost out in the Blue Square UK Open, Las Vegas Desert Classic, Stan James World Matchplay and Bullit World Darts Trophy.

Masters

However, a run to the final of the World Darts Trophy was followed up last weekend by Taylor defeating current World Champion Raymond van Barneveld 8-6 to win the Emperors Palace South African Masters in Johannesburg - and he feels he is ready to answer his critics in Dublin.

"Anyone who is at the top of their sport and drops below the level they are used to gets written off, but it's a challenge for me to prove them wrong," said Taylor, who takes on qualifier Adrian Gray in round one.

"The Power's not done yet and I'm looking forward to this event.

"I'm feeling a lot better in my game, I played quite well in South Africa and am a lot happier with how I am throwing at the moment.

"I'm working hard and I like the World Grand Prix."

Gray, a carpet fitter by trade, has qualified for a third major championship debut inside 12 months through the PDPA Qualifiers - using a system which rewards players for performances on the PDC Pro Tour during the year.

"It's been an amazing year," admits Gray, who enters this event ranked 44th in the world.

"This is my third debut in three competitions in one year; the World Championship, World Matchplay and now this.

"I'm up against it as it is playing Phil, so you don't need the double start putting up as a hurdle too! But there's nothing I can do about that and have to deal with it and hope the darts go in.

"He has been vulnerable early on before because it's a short format - but beating him is easier said than done!"

World Champion Raymond van Barneveld will take on fellow Dutchman Vincent van der Voort in the first round - in a repeat of June's UK Open Final.

"It's funny how the draw came out because myself and Vincent are good friends," said van Barneveld.

"He's having a really good year and has done well to qualify, but I feel I am in good form at the moment."

Nowhere

Alex Roy came from nowhere to win his qualifying place - reaching the final of last month's Welsh Players Championship and including Taylor among his victims that day as he pushed Alan Warriner-Little and Michael van Gerwen out of the qualifying places.

"It was amazing," said Roy, who meets Wes Newton in round one.

"I made everybody laugh because I thought the qualifying had already been done for the World Grand Prix and I just went to Newport wanting to play well.

"But everyone went mad when I got to the final and it was honestly only then I realised that I was in the World Grand Prix.

"I guess I was under no pressure because I didn't know and that is one of the reasons I did so well."

The tournament features the top 24 in the PDC Order of Merit, the four PDPA Qualifiers and four All-Ireland Qualifiers.

Over 540 players from Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland entered the qualifier last month, with John Elder, Jason Barry, James Keogh and Billy Matthews winning a place in the tournament.

Dun Laoghaire-based Matthews, 58, has only returned to competitive action this year after a 25-year absence, and has drawn Canada's two-time World Champion John Part.

First round schedule:

Monday 8 October

6.00pm Ronnie Baxter v Andy Smith

6.40pm John Part v Billy Matthews

7.20pm Terry Jenkins v Wayne Jones

8.00pm Andy Hamilton v Wayne Mardle

8.40pm Phil Taylor v Adrian Gray

9.20pm Chris Mason v Colin Osborne

10.00pm Peter Manley v Mark Dudbridge

10.40pm Jason Barry v Andy Jenkins

Tuesday 9 October

6.00pm John Elder v Mervyn King