police raids box sellers arrested NE England

well lets hope that the lawyers for the defence know that the eu has ruled it is not illegal to watch streamed tv. On the other hand the sellers are profiteering by selling preconfigured boxes at high prices

hope the sellers get hammered lol will be the ruin of all good things with their blatent rip offs
as for the streaming side of it no doubt the UK will disagree as we only part of the EU when it suits our Government for their gain

“Consumers need to be aware that these cheap pre-configured TV boxes are illegal,” says FACT Director General Kieron Sharp. “They are stealing copyrighted content and starving UK businesses from revenue, as well as putting consumers’ devices at risk of malware and ransomware.”

The key here is
pre-configured TV boxes are illegal, not the boxes on their own.
Nor are they prosecuting anyone watching these streams.

Its the "distributing an unauthorized decoder" that gets me, I am trying to work out what they decode, most of these android boxes are just picking up streams from the web and are not decoding anything

“unauthorised”, in relation to a decoder, means that the decoder is designed or adapted to enable an encrypted transmission, or any service of which it forms part, to be accessed in an intelligible form without payment of the fee (however imposed) which the person making the transmission, or on whose behalf it is made, charges for accessing the transmission or service (whether by the circumvention of any conditional access technology related to the transmission or service or by any other means).

“apparatus” includes any device, component or electronic data (including software);

“conditional access technology” means any technical measure or arrangement whereby access to encrypted transmissions in an intelligible form is made conditional on prior individual authorisation;
“decoder” means any apparatus which is designed or adapted to enable (whether on its own or with any other apparatus) an encrypted transmission to be decoded;
“encrypted” includes subjected to scrambling or the operation of cryptographic envelopes, electronic locks, passwords or any other analogous application;
“transmission” means -
(a) any programme included in a broadcasting service which is provided from a place in the United Kingdom or any other member State; or
(b) an information society service (within the meaning of Directive 98/34/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22nd June 1998, as amended by Directive 98/48/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20th July 1998) which is provided from a place in the United Kingdom or any other member State;
and
“unauthorised”, in relation to a decoder, means that the decoder is designed or adapted to enable an encrypted transmission, or any service of which it forms part, to be accessed in an intelligible form without payment of the fee (however imposed) which the person making the transmission, or on whose behalf it is made, charges for accessing the transmission or service (whether by the circumvention of any conditional access technology related to the transmission or service or by any other means).

I can see that, but there is no decoder, its basically a browser with clever favorites, it does not decode anything.

Re read it but still dont gat it - probably me.

Anyway as I said any PC with a internet connect and a web browser should therefore be counted as an unauthorized decoded.

I would really laugh if they raided PC World LOL

Did not realize that they were using m3u lists, makes it a little more complex than a website but not a lot.

Will have to get a "fully Loaded" box at some point to see what is put on it, but if they are reliant on m3u lists they are probably down more than they are up, unles the seller is maintaining the servers and lists.

Now if the sellers are maintaining the servers then they are definatly decoding and the 2 parts might be connected

Back