Owen out for the season

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
Michael Owen has been ruled out for the rest of the season, ending any slender hopes he had of making England's World Cup squad.

The Manchester United striker suffered a hamstring injury during Sunday's Carling Cup final victory over Aston Villa.

Owen was surprisingly handed a starting role ahead of in-form Wayne Rooney at Wembley and vindicated Sir Alex Ferguson's decision by scoring a well-taken equaliser.

But the former Liverpool, Real Madrid and Newcastle forward pulled up during the first half on the heavy pitch and limped out of the action to be replaced by Rooney, with the substitute heading the winner in the second half.

Scans have now revealed that the hamstring problem sustained by the 30-year-old will keep him out of action for the remainder of the campaign and he will undergo an operation on Monday.

Owen was always a long-shot to secure a place in England manager Fabio Capello's squad having been regularly overlooked since the Italian took charge.

But his return of 40 goals from 89 international appearances ensured that the debate over his inclusion for the tournament in South Africa would not go away.

Capello's policy of selecting players who were in action regularly and in form counted against Owen, who has struggled for regular starts at Old Trafford with niggling injuries hampering his cause.

And this latest setback means that the striker, who was an integral part of England's forward line in the past three World Cup finals, will not be involved in a fourth.

Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Owen out for the season

bad news all around if u ask me... can always get u a goal... suppose it makes it easier for capello though...

I feel sorry for him, but let's be honest he was never really in with a shout of being picked for the World Cup anyhow, not when Rooney,Defoe,Crouch and Agbonlahor are all in front of him in the pecking order. He hasn't even been being picked for the friendlies. And if the manager's stance on picking players playing regularly for the World Cup then that has to count against Rio Ferdinand as well, and Joe Cole. Now donkey Rio I couldn't care less about but Joe Cole better start playing regularly for Chelsea because he has to be on that plane.

owen was never in with a shout come on.....

as for the defence rio is a donkey he isnt the player he was when he signed from leeds to your guys, age has caught up with him (the reactions and pace) same goes for terry though, if you watched the eng game terry got out stripped every time he had to run with someone.

they both have good positioning skills (note good for defending crosses ect..) but any world class player (which is who we will meet) will strip and con them into making errors if the ball is on the grass, perfect example chelsea chumps league match the other week terry got sold and they scored.

to stand any chance in the WC we need to strong midfield that can keep the ball as our main weakness is the defence, top class teams will run them in circles.

as for wez brown well lmao... it seems im picking on manu players but im not, ive said terry will get stripped too but why oh why is wez brown even in the squad, i lost count of how many times he played passes to the other team (not tackles) he played it to them, i lost count how many times he went up field only not to be quick enough to get back on the counter which egypt did well.

for me micah richards has been over looked, hes fast and has power and when he gets up field he also gets back quick, yes he makes mistakes but so does brown and more so.

baines did well when the other players in the team let him join in, numerous times he was up field in a good position and they ignored the pass and went across the other side of the field.

lampard was shite as usual in a eng shirt, likes to get forward for chances that he misses but does feck all in midfield itself and fell over like a girl constantly every time he was touched,

wow this turned into a post didnt it lol.

my team for eng not that every one will agree incs.. terry and rio as theres no one else, but it is because theres no one else.

keeper - take your pick prob green.
left back - cole if fit or baines as bridge wont play with terry.
right back - micah richards
centers - rio and terry

midfield left - joe cole
midfield right - surprise here as i think milner.
center - gerrard and barry or carrick ( no lampard he needs to be a sub for gerrard)

rooney and crouch.

thats my starting line up but as always we wont all agree.

but thread title started as an owen thread and i still say he was never in with a shout even if fit.

Back