Operating Systems On PS3

liamrsi

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

just out of curiosity, i have seen that linux can be put onto the ps3, for one, why would you need it, whats it used for, and secondly, my mate put his windows xp cd in his machine the other day, and it started to install, can that be put on, and without any problems?

He stopped the install cos he got worried, just wanted to know if ppl have put OS's on their PS3's and what they are using them for!!

The reason i ask is id like to watch football on there from the net and watch on the telly (Premiership Games)

And thought if i put windows on there and then download the progs that are windows compatible to run stream, it should run?

I'm not trying to sound arrogant but your friend is lying. You can't just insert a Windows disk and hey presto its installed. The only way for windows to run on the PS3 is to emulate it through linux.

People may want linux on the PS3 so that they can use it as a PC as well as a gaming console. Not everyone can afford both. With Linux on the PS3 you can basically do anything like create a PVR with it by using a USB TV tuner, the possibilities are endless.

You may be able to get tvants (and co) to run by installing a linux distro like Ubuntu and then installing Wine. But i'd just stick to watching streams on a pc. It keeps it simple.

Not sure why you would want to even consider emulating Windows via Linux using Wine (CrossOver is Wine, Wine is CrossOver, don't start) especially on a PS3.

Linux is a far more sophisticated piece of software and if you look, you'll find plenty of programs capable to meet your needs that run native (no emulator crap) to Linux for example VLC.

If you do decide to install a Linux distro on your PS3, I would recommend playing about with the Ubuntu LiveCD (with your PC) as it is probably by far the easiest to use for anyone that has blindly followed Microsoft without question until now (no offence, alot of people do it...sorry).

i agree with you guys, i know linux is far more sophisticated, but i just like the idea of trying to watch the footy on a telly rather than a computer scree, but cannot see myself actually messing around with it!!

Back