Mobile Phones O2 scrapping unlimited data downloads for future contracts

Thats over 16Meg of data per day !

With the average website only generating about 50k per page (mobile optimised sites far less) then that would allow you about 300 pages per day. That sounds like quite a lot to me. Even on a desktop PC i'd be lucky to hit that !

Where you will quickly hit the limit is downloading media files. Reasonable quality phone video can require 75k per second (600kbits) so your only going to get somewhere around 200 secs (2.5 mins) of video before your daily allotment is gone.

I have to disagree with you on this one , when im at work i will check my email , facebook 4 or 5 times during my shift and have a look on installous to see whats about , this works out to around 8meg per day , so the 16meg per day aint a lot at all .

I have to disagree with you on this one , when im at work i will check my email , facebook 4 or 5 times during my shift and have a look on installous to see whats about , this works out to around 8meg per day , so the 16meg per day aint a lot at all .

He did say browsing - didn't mention all that other crap !

Even so, 8Meg seems excessive for what your doing. Try turning images and other multimedia content off.

Just checking e-mail and work and stuff definately can easily exceed 8mb a day. Throw in heavy weights sites like MSN and BBC plus a few video and songs and suddenly 500mb is not that much.

He did say browsing - didn't mention all that other crap !

Even so, 8Meg seems excessive for what your doing. Try turning images and other multimedia content off.

were talking about the iphone here and only running the dedicated facebook app and thats my average daily usage as quoted by orange when i phoned to arrange a data plan while abroad

Looks like I will be sticking with my Iphone Simplicity contract then, pity it runs out next March.

I only hope that the bloody phones are not too much. I hear that prices of about £500 for 16gb phone. If thats true then the phone would work out at £20.84 over 24 months.

....running the dedicated facebook app .....

It seems strange that facebook would require much data transfer but regardless, its fairly obvious the mobile networks simply dont have the available data throughput to be able to sustain millions of customers running high-requirement software so they've gone for the easy solution of capping everyone to a certain limit. Tbh, at this point, mobiles really aren't the correct thing to be running a lot of this stuff on. Maybe in 3-5 years things will of improved to the point where mobile broadband access is a reality without having to cripple the finances. At the moment it seems like device capability is far outstripping actual network capability !

Also remember, the mobile operators have always been excessively greedy and as some of their cash-cows have recently been taken away from them it was fairly inevitable they would snatch back from where they could.

Thats over 16Meg of data per day !

With the average website only generating about 50k per page (mobile optimised sites far less) then that would allow you about 300 pages per day. That sounds like quite a lot to me. Even on a desktop PC i'd be lucky to hit that !

Where you will quickly hit the limit is downloading media files. Reasonable quality phone video can require 75k per second (600kbits) so your only going to get somewhere around 200 secs (2.5 mins) of video before your daily allotment is gone.

Dont say that nozzer. I been watching the footie off tvcatchup on 3g! Fook. lol

O2 are just coming into line with the other providers. I have a 1200 min contract, unlimited txt and internet, and Orange try and get me to change to a iphone tariff at every point. Any problems I have with anything, and Orange state its because I am not non an iphone tariff.

Iphone tariffs are sheet, just get a contract your happy with, and buy an iphone seperate. Thats what I did, £460 from the apple shop, factory unlocked.

Will this affect the Blackberry Unlimited internet bolt-on too?

Back