Nintendo mulls pulling Wii TV ads

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Nintendo mulls pulling Wii TV ads

Nintendo is considering pulling UK television advertising for its popular Wii console in the run up to Christmas because it is battling to meet demand.

It said that holding back adverts until to 2008 would be a "responsible" move.

It now expects to have sold 17.5 million of the consoles worldwide in the year to March 2008 - up from the 14 million it had earlier forecast.

Nintendo is likely to use its advertising slots to promote its handheld DS console, analysts say.

'Act responsibility'

Globally, the firm is able to make about 1.8 million of the Wii consoles every month.

But it said that the demand had been "unprecedented and higher than Nintendo could ever have anticipated".

"We are doing everything possible to supply continued levels of stock and meet demand as quickly as possible," the spokesman added.

"As we are keen to act responsibly we are potentially looking at moving some advertising on some products into early 2008."

It is understood that because the television commercials do not have a festive flavour, they will be able to be used next year.

Demand for the Wii could mean disappointment for those putting it at the top of their Christmas list.

High Street retailers are struggling to keep up with demand and websites have been set up to help shoppers find out when stock becomes available.

Last month Sony said that it was taking advantage of Nintendo Wii shortages and a recent price cut of its PlayStation 3 console to double weekly sales of the PlayStation in the US.

Story from BBC NEWS:
Published: 2007/12/07 14:56:58 GMT
© BBC MMVII

i reckon production has been slowed because they are trying to improve security and ultimatly make an unmodable wii.

its the best selling console EVER. ok so the graphics may not be as good as a 360 or a PS3, but game coders have gotten lazy now machines have got better so dont work as hard with the programming, but its the actual interactivity of the thing that sells it, its not a sit on your arse and shoot the shit out of something type console, you have to get involved

ive played consoles all my life, or since they been invented anyway lol, i remember spending 2 days typing my own games into a 48k spectrum to have one letter wrong and fook all work lmao, but the games like 007, turok, etc never used to interest me, i used to play them but they didnt seem or feel right, so i used to get stoned watching instead, i know the games inside out but dont play them, but since having a Wii those games have changed for me, zelda, scarface, metroid, all the same style of game, but a whole new interface to control and interact with them

that is the selling power of the Wii

its the best selling console EVER. ok so the graphics may not be as good as a 360 or a PS3, but game coders have gotten lazy now machines have got better so dont work as hard with the programming, but its the actual interactivity of the thing that sells it, its not a sit on your arse and shoot the shit out of something type console, you have to get involved

ive played consoles all my life, or since they been invented anyway lol, i remember spending 2 days typing my own games into a 48k spectrum to have one letter wrong and fook all work lmao, but the games like 007, turok, etc never used to interest me, i used to play them but they didnt seem or feel right, so i used to get stoned watching instead, i know the games inside out but dont play them, but since having a Wii those games have changed for me, zelda, scarface, metroid, all the same style of game, but a whole new interface to control and interact with them

that is the selling power of the Wii

IMHO, I agree.

Did you ever consider becoming a Nintendo sales rep ?

LOL

I really don't like it, it's just too childish and cute, I could barf everytime the kids switch it on.

Must be great being in charge of the Wii at Nintendo, can u imagine the size of your Xmas bonus, well done Nintendo, great to see them back at the top (even if it's not my cup of tea).

I loved the Gamecube BTW.

its true, ive been playing games since slamming my first cartridge into the back of my vic20, ive lost count of the number of consoles ive owned, i have calmed down a bit the last few years though, i havent had a PS2 or 3 or a 360

when i forst got the Wii i thought it was great, then i pulled my shoulder, hurt a few ribs and stretched my arm, and after a bit i did think 'well this is pretty crap really' but then there was an explosion of games, theres normally 2 a year, one to coincide with the begining of the school holidays and one before xmas, but im glad i stuck it out as now the choice is fantastic, i have over 130 games that will keep everyone happy, from my 3 year old son playing the cutsie games and the marble ones, my 6 year old boy on the racing games, my girl whos nearly 9 on the new girly games up to a gang of pissed up mates hiding behind the setee shooting each other or beating the crap out of one another on boxing. even if youve NEVER played a console before you can master the controls in a very short space of time

the wii is great for kids n girls,but for me the novelty wears off far too quickly and im soon back on the 360 playing a proper game

Back