Newbie - I cant get Hyperterminal to Work!!

Experience

Inactive User
Reaction score
i'm trying to use hyperterminal but am going not where with it. I've got an ambit 200 with an RS232 serial connection. The RS232 is plugged directly into my laptop (not using any converters) and am doing the following:

i've got the modem connected to my lappy by the network lead

open
hyperterminal - new connection - called NTL
connection = com 1
bits per seconds = 115200
data bits = 8
parity = none
stop bits = 1
flow = none

then i power on the modem without the cable feed

I then just get a blank window in hyperterminal -99% of the time i get a blank screen but sometimes i get a load of random characters like the ones below.

ô úôú÷ô¿úúúûû ýý ûëú ýôß û÷û¿û û úýÚ úú ë?ýû ûô¿ûû ûý¿úû ô úýú ýû¿ ûúû ýïý
è ý t úýýÚïýýØ¿ôúúý¿ýú ýýú ö úû÷ýûúûô¿öûûý÷ýûýúýý úû ú öûûè¿úïû ý èôý ýûïû
ýýýoúïýúû¿ûûú ýýûúú¿ý ôú ûïû [ý¿û ¿ ûý¿ûú ï¿ýØûôûý ö÷ú¿ôû¿ýúÔûýôýôú ýýûèøï
ûûý Ûú ýúô úýûôûý÷ýû úý ýúýýúûýøú¿ö ôïúïûûý û ú ¿ ýûûýýo¿ýûý èýý ýúûúú ûû ôý
÷ûôöûýý÷ö÷ûû¿ýúûô¿ïýý Þ èýû ý úû ¿ý¿ôï¿û úû ýû úû[ ýû ÷ úý÷ý¿ûý ý ýý úú¿ú
úúýûýt úûýýýûýïý ýûúûôýý¿ »¿ûôú ý¿ û ý¿èô ô úýý÷úûûèý ô ýØôZûúô¿úúý úûýûøû û
? ýú ïýý¿ ÷ û¿ýýú ûýØØûüý¿ôï ý¿ú í ýýû ý¿ýúûýýû¿û ? ûýûúúûúú ôû¿ý

I thought it was one of the connections on the lead i was using so made a new one - i've tested it using the RS232 test but thats come back fine.

If i use Tera Term i ALWAYs get stuff appearing on the screen when the modems booting - but again i cant make any sense of it.
This is what i normally get

AdAC`AD

## 0! BANAdAAHArAD

" " ! @bAMNAdAAHArAD

CAC@AArA

CAC@A
ANAcArE2

! CAC@AArA0

CAC@ANAcArE2

! @bAMACCE
cc

OM`bAccADOOdHOA@Eb@A`AC`A@ IAGEArE2

'&$& IAGOC2

0!0 ACOM``Ac
cAON`A`ac2
COI`bAccE@IAGEArE2
NA`AALApA@ !$11!

dACCANA`AAHArAD

A`I`ACCANA`AALApA@

EIArE2

LAc@DA`AbOADCOMOOOA@AbEbcAON2#!#AGNA`abE2##$0
AHEE"bOGANObAf2 !AA@EbeAHDAIE2" !!!! 12 12%0 ABObAd2 "
ANG`@2&1 ' BqdAc
OAD@@bAcc20 ! AHANAMA0fpbAIc`OBAN 2A0C1 0
'EB%!$#ANdAb!
"
Ob`gA`@AL"cACON@cObdACEDADAaL`
AbFObIANGOLMAGA"
ECOI`bAccA@IAGA"
ACOI`bEccANG A`GAd@@bAcc0 p !
ECOI`bAccANG
ECOI`bAccANG
ACOI`bAccANG ECOI`bAccANG
ACOI`bEccANG
ECOM`bAccANG`bEccANG
ECOM`bAccANG
ACOM``AccALG ACOI`bAccANG pACadANGIAGA"
#
# 0

Sometimes i can type but its just random characters that appear like Hearts & funny shapes

Could the RS232 be faulty but still pass the RS232 Test?

So far I've tried
2 different laptops
2 different modems
2 different network leads
tried both static and dynamic ip addresses for the network card
checked the 232 connections - tried all possible ways to connect it to the modem

Any ideas guys - i've ran out of ideas :Cry:

have u set your lan to 192.168.100.10/1 not sure what ambit 200 is set to but it sounds like your lead m8

he=Experience;1213855]i'm trying to use hyperterminal but am going not where with it. I've got an ambit 200 with an RS232 serial connection. The RS232 is plugged directly into my laptop (not using any converters) and am doing the following:

i've got the modem connected to my lappy by the network lead

open
hyperterminal - new connection - called NTL
connection = com 1
bits per seconds = 115200
data bits = 8
parity = none
stop bits = 1
flow = none

then i power on the modem without the cable feed

I then just get a blank window in hyperterminal -99% of the time i get a blank screen but sometimes i get a load of random characters like the ones below.

I thought it was one of the connections on the lead i was using so made a new one - i've tested it using the RS232 test but thats come back fine.

If i use Tera Term i ALWAYs get stuff appearing on the screen when the modems booting - but again i cant make any sense of it.
This is what i normally get

Sometimes i can type but its just random characters that appear like Hearts & funny shapes

Could the RS232 be faulty but still pass the RS232 Test?

So far I've tried
2 different laptops
2 different modems
2 different network leads
tried both static and dynamic ip addresses for the network card
checked the 232 connections - tried all possible ways to connect it to the modem

Any ideas guys - i've ran out of ideas :Cry:[/quote]

Last edited:
Yes i've tried setting my lan to 192.168.100.10 & 192.168.100.1
I am doing it right arnt i ?
I'm going to control panel >network connections>right click local area connection>properties>
goto TCP/IP and click properties
And then manually add the IP 192.168.100.10 with the Subnet as 255.255.255.0
No Gateway/ DNS

check the lead you connected on the pin header inside the modem is the right way round, i'm almost certain thats your problem .take it off and turn it round or check you've got the right wires going to the right pins , jumbled words and letters normally means you have got the connecter to the modem pins on backwards

Last edited:
looks like a problem in 'translation', not sure what you mean by tere term. Have you got the correct emulation set in the hyperterminal i.e properties > settings?

I've finally found the fault - i made a new lead with seperate connections for each pin - if the ground wire is disconnected it works fine, but with the ground connected i dont get any communication or get silly results.
Do i need the ground connection ? Would this be a fault on the RS232 circuit board?

Does your max232 have a jumper on it to use its own power or otherwise?

I have mines set to off so that the max board uses the power from modem, meaning the grounds need bridging.
Although some different modems I find dont like that, so try switching it about mate.

I spent 4 months getting my first succesful "hello world" out of a epc2100 and that was spent switching every variable I could think of.

Could the network cable be making your pc and modem have the correct ground maybe? And are you still connecting VCC even tho ground is off?

Im sorry I know Ive asked more questions than Ive answered lol :D

Back