Linux New to linux

miggy

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has just put linux on there computer, my question is will it need some kind of anti virus package putting on it. Sorry to sound a bit hesitant its just that I don't want anything to go pear shaped when I go to set it up. Any advice on this system would be great. thanks

A friend of mine has just put linux on there computer, my question is will it need some kind of anti virus package putting on it. Sorry to sound a bit hesitant its just that I don't want anything to go pear shaped when I go to set it up. Any advice on this system would be great. thanks

No m8 it doesn't need anti-virus,you can use a firewall if required and your router doesn't have one,
what needs to be setup on it m8?

nothing in particular just email account facebook usual stuff will it be ok to do all that wiz?. Like I said advice from you guys is very much appreciated. Does it work the same as ms windows?.

nothing in particular just email account facebook usual stuff will it be ok to do all that wiz?. Like I said advice from you guys is very much appreciated. Does it work the same as ms windows?.

Any stuff thats done through a browser is exactly the same i.e web-mail,Facebook and twitter,
If there's a program that is a must have thats giving you trouble,or no Linux alternative, then install wine and try running it in that,

Its very different to windows although if you are pc savvy you will be alright to jump right in,anything else just shout or google :)

Linux doesn't run .exe files so the chances of a virus are very slim. What desktop is it running Gnome on KDE ? as KDE is very windows like

Linux doesn't run .exe files so the chances of a virus are very slim. What desktop is it running Gnome on KDE ? as KDE is very windows like

Not sure yet mate going to have a look tomorrow

Unlikely, as flavours I've tried like Linux Ubuntu require you to enter your own personalised password first before you're allowed to make any system changes. This works the same in Macs and since Mac OSs and Linux OSs are derivatives of the UNIX OS, neither of them have any virus issues. If you'd like to try Ubuntu before you commit and load it, you can dl and burn its ISO to CD, put it in your ROM drive and run a 'live' version which basically means the OS will boot from CD and only run in your computers memory (RAM). It will be a little slower than if you just installed it, but it gives you an opportunity to test drive it before you make the leap. OBTW, there's a Windows App which allows you to install it in Windows real easily. It's called Wubi and if you install Ubuntu via this, your system will offer you dual boot functionality even thought you've just installed Ubuntu just like any other windows app. Hope this helps.:Clap::Clap:

Its always good when someone new comes Linux, I have been at it for years. I favour suse 11.1 not that happy with 12.1. If you are worried about virus invasion I'm sure "Klam or Clam" antivirus is about for most version. I gave up on it as the only things it found were on my windows parttiton.

Back