Neil Lennon to be new Celtic manager

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Celtic will present Neil Lennon as their next manager during a media conference scheduled for 1100 at Celtic Park on Wednesday.

Stuart Baxter is expected to act in an advisory capacity, while retaining his head coach position with Finland.

Lennon, 38, has lined up former team-mates Johan Mjallby, Alan Thompson and Garry Parker for his backroom team.

The former captain took charge of the team after Tony Mowbray's sacking in March, enjoying a 100% league record.

Lennon, who had been reserve team coach at Celtic Park until Mowbray's departure, led the Glasgow giants to eight straight wins at the end of an otherwise disappointing Scottish Premier League season in which debt-hit Rangers retained the title despite having no funds to buy new players.

The only black mark against him was an embarrassing Scottish Cup semi-final defeat at the hands of First Division Ross County.

Signed by Martin O'Neill, Lennon arrived at Celtic as a hard-tackling midfielder in 2000, winning five championship titles in seven seasons.

He returned to the club in a coaching capacity in 2008 to assist then manager Gordon Strachan.

Following Strachan's exit and Mowbray's subsequent employment last summer, Lennon was kept on but was sidelined to a role with the under-19s.

Baxter's role has yet to be clarified but it is thought the Celtic board were anxious to have a more experienced man on hand to lend assistance to Lennon.

At a fans meeting convened by the Celtic Trust at Parkhead last month, Lennon said: "If I do get the job, maybe I would like an older head to bounce ideas off.

"It is a possibility if the outcome is positive."

Baxter is a 56-year-old English-born Scot who has spent most of his managerial career in Scandinavia, with spells in Portugal, Japan and South America.

Of Lennon's backroom team, former Sweden defender Mjallby is well-known to Celtic fans as he played over 140 times for the club after joining in 1998.

Likewise, Thompson was signed in 2000 by O'Neill, and stayed at Celtic until he switched to Leeds United seven years later.

Making up Lennon's trio of coaches, is his former Leicester City team-mate Parker.

The pair played in the Foxes' midfield in the late 1990s, and Parker had a spell as coach there, eventually leaving the club after one game as caretaker boss in 2001.

His appointment at Celtic will mark a return to football after an absence of nine years, during which time he has worked in the building trade.

Ah well, that'll soften the nagra3 blow then, cos I don't think I can watch any more of the tripe we've been served up recently. No ambition shown there at all.

I Smell Shoite!

listen to this then ask yourself why it took so long and more importantly why did they only give him a one year contract.

I Smell Shoite!

listen to this then ask yourself why it took so long and more importantly why did they only give him a one year contract.

Lord Reid?

A bullshitter?

No way :Laugh:

I wish him well but not too well lol.
Second place in all comps is fine by me

I wish him well but not too well lol.
Second place in all comps is fine by me

That would do me, a bit like 2003 except the Champions League runners up :proud:

We'll be lucky to get out of the Europa group stage.

Reid's lies aren't even worth bothering with. He says the delay was down to due diligence but that they didn't speak to anyone else.

Back