Mobile broadband - Help with using iPhone sim in O2 E160 Dongle

swampyy

Inactive User
Reaction score
There is a thread on here regarding using 3 or O2 mobile broadband 'dongles' in with an iPhone 3G sim cacd so as to get 12 months unlimited broadband access in a computer or laptop.

I've read through all 47 pages and still can't get my dongle/sim working properly so I thought I'd ask for help here as that thread seems to have died.

I have the Huawei E160 O2 branded dongle which was already unlocked but I have replaced the O2 connection manager software with Mobile Partner.
I have an iPhone sim which I have activated. I've also activated the 'top-up' card.
If I use the settings most commonly recommended here -
Static APN - payandgo.o2.co.uk
User - payandgo
Password - payandgo
Authentication Protocol - PAP

I just get an error message "error 619"

If I change the APN to 'dynamic' I can connect but can't reach any web pages.
The same happens if I use a static APN setting of m-bb.o2.co.uk
or mobile.o2.co.uk
I've tried so many combinations of APN/user/password over the last 24 hours my brain is frazzled!
From this and other forums I've seen users recommend user names of..
mobileweb
02web
and o2bb

and passwords of..
password
Password
vertigo
Vertigo
payandgo
etc

Some give the '619 error' and others let me connect but not reach web pages. I would call o2 tech support but as I don't own an iPhone that's probably not a good idea!
AAAAAARRRGGGHHH!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Pete

There is a thread on here regarding using 3 or O2 mobile broadband 'dongles' in with an iPhone 3G sim cacd so as to get 12 months unlimited broadband access in a computer or laptop.

I've read through all 47 pages and still can't get my dongle/sim working properly so I thought I'd ask for help here as that thread seems to have died.

I have the Huawei E160 O2 branded dongle which was already unlocked but I have replaced the O2 connection manager software with Mobile Partner.
I have an iPhone sim which I have activated. I've also activated the 'top-up' card.
If I use the settings most commonly recommended here -
Static APN - payandgo.o2.co.uk
User - payandgo
Password - payandgo
Authentication Protocol - PAP

I just get an error message "error 619"

If I change the APN to 'dynamic' I can connect but can't reach any web pages.
The same happens if I use a static APN setting of m-bb.o2.co.uk
or mobile.o2.co.uk
I've tried so many combinations of APN/user/password over the last 24 hours my brain is frazzled!
From this and other forums I've seen users recommend user names of..
mobileweb
02web
and o2bb

and passwords of..
password
Password
vertigo
Vertigo
payandgo
etc

Some give the '619 error' and others let me connect but not reach web pages. I would call o2 tech support but as I don't own an iPhone that's probably not a good idea!
AAAAAARRRGGGHHH!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Pete

Have you activated the Internet Add On? This can be done on the O2 website.

Free O2 Web and WiFI Bolt On

Last edited:
DW190 - Thanks for the reply.
As far as I could tell I'd activated the bolt-on web & wifi but just to be sure I did it again by text & got an instant reply saying it could take 48 hours to activate the bolt-on and I'll get a text when it's operational.
Nothing received as yet so will just have to wait longer & see what happens.
Cheers

DW190 - Thanks for the reply.
As far as I could tell I'd activated the bolt-on web & wifi but just to be sure I did it again by text & got an instant reply saying it could take 48 hours to activate the bolt-on and I'll get a text when it's operational.
Nothing received as yet so will just have to wait longer & see what happens.
Cheers

This can be checked online if you register with O2.

I did one four months ago and its still going strong. Just sent one text each month using the logging on program. I use Telstra Turbo and find it very good.

Hi,
I can't register with O2 as the signup form asks me for a verification code which I don't have. When I click the 'request new code' button, nothing is received.

I just called O2 from a landline and was told the web bolt-on has been active for 3 days. He couldn't tell me my verification code and also couldn't think why I wasn't getting the text messages with the code in them. He tried sending me a text there & then and that also wasn't received. Seeing as I have received texts from O2 confirming my balance top-up and adding the bolt-ons, all he could suggest was to clean the sim contacts.

I just found something odd - if I try to phone my landline with this sim in a handset I just get a droning noise from the phone. If I try calling this handset from my landline I get routed straight to the O2 message service.
I am able to call any O2 number though, such as balance checking etc.

Now stuck for ideas again!

Can you get on WAP using a phone? rather than the dongle.

If you cant, then I reckon there is something wrong with the SIM rather than your settings.

If O2 technical cant resolve it then try another O2 Sim card matey.

Just spent 1/2 hour on the phone again talking to O2 tech support.
He kept talking me through settings I had to check/alter on my (non-existent) iPhone but in the end said I should take the sim into an O2 shop to swap for a new one as he thinks it's likely faulty.

Just spent 1/2 hour on the phone again talking to O2 tech support.
He kept talking me through settings I had to check/alter on my (non-existent) iPhone but in the end said I should take the sim into an O2 shop to swap for a new one as he thinks it's likely faulty.

Ask them to put a credit on your new one as a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience.

If they ask for your phone, tell them you have had to leave it charging as it flattened the battery with all the arsing about.

Back