Microsoft Word Document has wierd symbols :(

xxjaylo

Inactive User
Reaction score
HI guys, my son was working on his coursework for school and suddenly some windows pooped up and now it has gone from 4 pages to 34 pages and it has boxes and chinese and other symbols on it

does any1 know how to change this back into normal text plz?

thanks in advance

Check what version the document was created on and what version you have on your machine, looks like yours is older. You can download convertors.

Have you tried the UNDO ?
Do you get any error messages when you open the DOC ?
if so try opening WORD goto File OPEN, find your Doc and change the option to Open & Repare

Or if you think its just a font change click selct all (Ctrl+A) then change the font

Last edited:
thanks for the fast replies

i created it on MS WORD 2003 and im opening it on MS WORD 2003 and all the wierd symbols still come up

the UNDO button didnt work i tried it as soon as this happened

ye i saved it in word the opened in openoffice and it was 5 pages long, then i tried it again buh this time i used copy and paste and it came to 4 pages

i jus tried that program and it doesnt work, the document can be written again, its just that he spent a lot of time doing it and now he has to think about what he wrote etc

When it was opened in Word the first time, did Word prompt to try and fix it? Word does have a recovery feature available, if you choose not to then its quite hard to recover from it after that point.

Saving it when it is still gubbed will make the job even harder.

Back