Microsoft Security Essentials

Thanks for that alimac... Would you know if it checks to see if you have a genuine copy of windows 7 . i.e. would it work on a non-genuine copy ???

Also... What does it actually do ?? Is it just the same as AVG antivirus free ??? Sorry for all the questions..

It uses the same scan engine and definitions as Win10/11's Defender

Click on Start, then Control Panel, then click on System and Security, and finally click on System. Then scroll all the way down to the bottom and you should see a section called Windows activation, which says “Windows is activated” and gives you the Product ID. It also includes the genuine Microsoft software logo.

Thanks spud1966.
I've done as you suggested and it does say “Windows is activated” and gives the Product ID. and it also includes the genuine Microsoft software logo.
Does this mean my dodgy copy of windows is now genuine ????
Would this mean that I can now safely delete AVG free ????

dodgy copy of windows is now genuine , yes if its been hacked lol

Win10/11's Defender is a good program for spyware and viruses and free from Microsoft

Delete AVG its crap and install the one @alimac has posted ;)

That doesn't seem to have gone too well !!

The microsoft security tools program won't update !! It says no connection !!! However I must have a connection to the internet or I wouldn't be able to see this DW page ??? OH BUGGER .. What've I done ???

Last edited:
When I get the error message about MSE not updating and then click on the "help" button I get this message .....(copied and pasted below)....

Support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020
We recommend you move to a Windows 11 PC to continue to receive security updates from Microsoft.
Learn more

Microsoft Security Essentials reached end of service on January 14, 2020 and is no longer available as a download. Microsoft will continue to release signature updates (including engine) to service systems currently running Microsoft Security Essentials untill 2023.

Why is Microsoft Security Essentials no longer available?
Windows 7 is no longer supported and availability of new installations of Microsoft Security Essentials has ended. We recommend all customers move to Windows 10 and Windows Defender Antivirus for our best security option.

Will Microsoft Security Essentials running on my system continue to run?
Yes, we will continue to provide signature updates for Microsoft Security Essentials until 2023.

Don't really understand whether I'm protected or not ???
Should I just go back to AVG ???

sorry fella it just worked fine when i used it but not got Win 7 @minute to run it again to test it
avg is pretty poor option but you could try free kaspersky or the likes or maybe even Windows 10 plenty options

Not a problem alimac. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Thanks very much for the download link.
Keep em coming

Back