Laws Regarding Fire In Back Garden

Gunner786

Inactive User
Reaction score
Got alot of rubbish in the back garden that needs burning,
need to clear it out,
stuff like wood and trees i cut about 2 years ago and hedges.
would be alot easier to burn them than get them picked up and alot cheaper too lol.

i've heard that fires are banned now totally or something about drums only being allowed to burn stuff.
i live in luton area so can someone help me out here

Phone the council ask them...

I know i have a problem with the local chip shop owner who burns all there garden waste and causes massive amounts of smoke! She normaly does it just as we put washing out so ive been round to her shop when its happened and threatened her with enviro as it was blowing into her shop too..

Oh and i also called fire brigade once cause i was that pissed off tokk them 2 mins to put it out :proud:

And yes the enviro peeps agreed with me she should not be burning im in northwest btw

here you are mate. taken from 'Environmental protection UK' website.

Bonfires and the law

When and where can I have a bonfire?

It is a common misconception that there are specific byelaws prohibiting garden bonfires or specifying times they can be lit –there aren't. However, this is not a licence for indiscriminate burning! Occasionally a bonfire is the best practicable way to dispose of woody or diseased waste that cannot be composted. And bonfires are used to mark traditional celebrations – especially November 5th.

Under the Waste Management (England and Wales) Regulations 2006 it is an offence for people to dispose of their domestic waste in a way likely to cause pollution of the environment or harm to human health. In practice you should not burn waste that is likely to create excessive smoke or noxious fumes. If only dry garden waste is burnt, your bonfire should not cause a problem.

Most bonfire problems are addressed under nuisance legislation. Under the Environmental Protection Act (EPA) 1990, a statutory nuisance includes "smoke, fumes or gases emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance." (In N Ireland the Public Health Act 1878 defines nuisance.) In practice a fire would have to be a recurrent persistent problem, interfering substantially with neighbours' well-being, comfort or enjoyment of their property.

If a bonfire of industrial or commercial waste is emitting black smoke it is dealt with under the Clean Air Act 1993 – this includes the burning of such material in your garden! Under section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 it is illegal to dispose of waste that is not from your property – for example from your workplace or from a neighbour. For example, small tradesmen must not burn waste from site at home.

Got alot of rubbish in the back garden that needs burning,
need to clear it out,
stuff like wood and trees i cut about 2 years ago and hedges.
would be alot easier to burn them than get them picked up and alot cheaper too lol.

i've heard that fires are banned now totally or something about drums only being allowed to burn stuff.
i live in luton area so can someone help me out here
have a look outside??? Terrible forecast,not too many out looking in your back garden.tonight well after dark burn it in a barell if you have one. If not stay with the fire until it's well finished. If your caught there is a hefty fine

Why not just ask the council to uplift it

here you are mate. taken from 'Environmental protection UK' website.

Bonfires and the law

When and where can I have a bonfire?

It is a common misconception that there are specific byelaws prohibiting garden bonfires or specifying times they can be lit –there aren't. However, this is not a licence for indiscriminate burning! Occasionally a bonfire is the best practicable way to dispose of woody or diseased waste that cannot be composted. And bonfires are used to mark traditional celebrations – especially November 5th.

Under the Waste Management (England and Wales) Regulations 2006 it is an offence for people to dispose of their domestic waste in a way likely to cause pollution of the environment or harm to human health. In practice you should not burn waste that is likely to create excessive smoke or noxious fumes. If only dry garden waste is burnt, your bonfire should not cause a problem.

Most bonfire problems are addressed under nuisance legislation. Under the Environmental Protection Act (EPA) 1990, a statutory nuisance includes "smoke, fumes or gases emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance." (In N Ireland the Public Health Act 1878 defines nuisance.) In practice a fire would have to be a recurrent persistent problem, interfering substantially with neighbours' well-being, comfort or enjoyment of their property.

If a bonfire of industrial or commercial waste is emitting black smoke it is dealt with under the Clean Air Act 1993 – this includes the burning of such material in your garden! Under section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 it is illegal to dispose of waste that is not from your property – for example from your workplace or from a neighbour. For example, small tradesmen must not burn waste from site at home.

Good bit of info that like will come in handy here as well. So you should be ok just don't go throwing old tyres and $hit on lol like whats been said as well think its more the neighbours moaning then owt else so just watch owt for there washing lol probs still best to check with your local council just incase your area differs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back