Khan impressively dismantles Malignaggi as Mitchell gets LEATHERED by Katsidis

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
Amir Khan dazzled on his American debut stopping Paulie Malignaggi in the 11th round to defend his WBA light-welterweight title in New York.

After a couple of even first rounds, Khan dominated from the third round onwards using his left jab to break down his Malignaggi's resistance.

Khan, 23, landed at will throughout and a desperate Malignaggi, 29, had little in the way of a response.

And in the penultimate round another Khan barrage saw the fight stopped.

"It's my first fight away from home so I'm very happy," said Khan.

"He was an awkward opponent, but we stuck to the game plan and stopped him in the 11th round.

"I was a little nervous, I was fighting in his home town but I put in the hard work in the gym and I knew my work ethic would carry me home.

"I want to come back home to fight next but then after that I want to meet the likes of Marcos Maidana, Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander to unify the titles."

Trainer Freddie Roach added: "The key factor was the jab and he showed a lot of composure and stuck to the game plan."

BBC Sport - Dominant Amir Khan defeats Paulie Malignaggi

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin Mitchell's dream fight at Upton Park turned into a nightmare as he was dismantled inside three rounds by Australian Michael Katsidis.

Mitchell, 25, looked surprised by Katsidis' power in the first round and was immediately forced to backpedal.

The Dagenham man appeared to have settled in the second, finding his mark with some sharp combinations.

But Katsidis, 25, staggered Mitchell with a big left hand in the third and referee Dave Parris later stepped in.

"I knew he was a big puncher, I knew he was heavy-handed," said Mitchell.

"He lured me into an attack and bang, he caught me.

"I've been in with big punchers - Carl Johanneson, Breidis Prescott. He lured me into the shot, I walked into one and bang. You can't make mistakes like that, I made the mistake and that's that.

"It's a wake-up call, I've got to be more professional in what I'm doing and take more care of my work and be more aware of what I'm doing in the ring, I backed up and sat on the ropes like an idiot.

"I'll be back and I'll be strong and I'll be ready to fight him again, definitely. 100% I will win a world title, I promise you."

Mitchell was challenging for Katsidis' WBO interim lightweight crown in front of 14,000 vociferous locals at West Ham's ground, but it was the Aussie who seemed the more energised by the occasion.

Punk band Cockney Rejects were on hand to sing Mitchell into the ring with a raucous rendition of the old Hammers favourite I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles, but Katsidis, in his trademark gladiator helmet, looked noticeably bigger when they eventually came face to face.

And after a cagey opening, Mitchell seemed to be somewhat taken aback when Katsidis decided to break ranks, with the Englishman spending most of the rest of the round on the back foot and Katsidis landing some spiteful blows.

It was better from Mitchell in the second, the challenger using his jab and finding the target with some snappy combinations, but still Katsidis came pouring forward.

At the start of the third Katsidis seemed to back off slightly, which succeeded in luring Mitchell forward into a slugging match and allowed the champion to pounce.

Former British and Commonwealth super-featherweight champion Mitchell, who made his name as a slugger, had looked a more complete fighter in his last few fights, and the accepted wisdom was that he should avoid going toe-to-toe with Katsidis.

And sure enough, when the leather started flying it was the champion who came off best, staggering Mitchell with a cuffing left to the back of the head, a shot from which Mitchell never really recovered.

Mitchell fired back with a couple of combinations, but Katsidis just kept coming, backing his rival onto the ropes before landing with another clubbing left and following up with a sustained, two-fisted battery.

And with Mitchell no longer returning fire, Parris was left with no other option but to stop the fight one minute and 57 seconds into the round, an outcome that stunned the West Ham faithful into virtual silence.

Mitchell, who was previously unbeaten in 31 pro encounters, will now have to rebuild his career, with a much talked about domestic match-up against Amir Khan now a distant dream.

While he vowed to come back and win a world championship, the manner in which he was exposed by a fighter who had fought and come up short at the very highest level will raise questions about his ability to do so.

But promoter Frank Warren has backed his man to return from his first loss and follow Khan's example by bouncing back from defeat to win a world title.

"Can he come back? I think he can," Warren told BBC Sport.

"We saw what happened to Amir Khan 18 months ago, and it's all about him using the talents he's got and not letting his heart overrule his brain.

"If he does that again he won't win a world title, he's got to learn and he's young enough to do that. He's got to go back to the drawing board and if he can learn, I think he will win a world title."

Instead it is Katsidis, who stopped Luton's Graham Earl in five savage rounds when he last fought in London in 2007 and who improves to 27 wins and two losses, who can now look forward to some big pay days, with the WBO's full champion Juan Manuel Marquez still on his radar.

"It's fantastic, it's been an absolute pleasure. You've got 20,000 people here, I would just hope one day these people could come and support me," said Katsidis.

"I feel I'm the best I've ever been, we've worked hard and I've been away from my family and my new baby girl.

"I can't leave Britain anyway because of the volcano, so I just want to stay here. There's 20-odd thousand passionate people here cheering and supporting the sport I love.

"I'm just going to enjoy my title, I am the world champion."

BBC Sport - Classy Michael Katsidis ends Kevin Mitchell dream

Great boxing performance by Khan, completely outwitted paulie and fully deserved to win the fight... Boxed him throughout, kept his defence up at all times and used the jab perfectly... As for Mitchell, what a let down! i thought it was gona be close but Kats deservedly leathered the crap out of him.....

Last edited:
khan looked real good, teaming up wuth roach has been a master move...i think its time for khan to take care of marcos maidana and then maybe go for either bradley or alexander

kevin mitchell got put in his place...mitchell was giving all the talk that he is better than khan but were not gonna find out cuz now there is no need for khan to fight mitchell...this loss for mitchell has put him way down the order now...khan has got bigger fish to eat

Up until the sixth round it could have been Amir Khan or Paulie Malignaggi after that khan took over

Come on guys put this into perspective, Khan beat a nobody. Malignaggi has an awkward style but gets caught a hell of alot. Just watch his last few fights, the guy gets hammered and with Amir speed there was no doubt he was going to get caught.

Fact remains Khan could not hurt him, he has the speed but no real knockout power regardless of his record. Although his defense has come along massively thanks largely to Freddie Roach and no doubt sparring with Pacquiao.

As for Mitchell he is a good prospect. He got beat by a very good boxer, if I remember correctly did Khan not get assaulted by a somewhat nobody called Prescott who was then beaten by Mitchell comprehensively over 12 rounds.

Personally I think Khan should take a couple more fights before taking on the likes of Maidana who hits very very hard, and will test Khans chin.

And maybe he should consider giving Barrera his rematch as saying he won that fight when it was stopped due to an inadvertent headbutt is embarassing.

Come on guys put this into perspective, Khan beat a nobody. Malignaggi has an awkward style but gets caught a hell of alot. Just watch his last few fights, the guy gets hammered and with Amir speed there was no doubt he was going to get caught.

Fact remains Khan could not hurt him, he has the speed but no real knockout power regardless of his record. Although his defense has come along massively thanks largely to Freddie Roach and no doubt sparring with Pacquiao.

As for Mitchell he is a good prospect. He got beat by a very good boxer, if I remember correctly did Khan not get assaulted by a somewhat nobody called Prescott who was then beaten by Mitchell comprehensively over 12 rounds.

Personally I think Khan should take a couple more fights before taking on the likes of Maidana who hits very very hard, and will test Khans chin.

And maybe he should consider giving Barrera his rematch as saying he won that fight when it was stopped due to an inadvertent headbutt is embarassing.

khan could not hurt him...are you being serious????...did you see paulie's face after the fight, he was fooked up good and proper

dont forget paulie has a solid chin, hattons win over paulie was identical to khans win, winning on tko in the 11th....and also paulie took the powerfull miguel cotto to full 12 rounds

forget barrera, khan is going to do a number on maidana, khan will box his head off

khan could not hurt him...are you being serious????...did you see paulie's face after the fight, he was fooked up good and proper

dont forget paulie has a solid chin, hattons win over paulie was identical to khans win, winning on tko in the 11th....and also paulie took the powerfull miguel cotto to full 12 rounds

forget barrera, khan is going to do a number on maidana, khan will box his head off

Just look at Malignaggi's fights against Hatton, Cotto etc. The guy gets hit a hell of alot and his face pretty much looks like that after every fight, whether he's in against a big puncher like Cotto or an average puncher like Khan.

Malignaggi is nothing more than another average boxer, has no credibility and has no ability to hurt his opponents whatsoever. The thing he does has is a solid chin as you pointed out, as the guy can fight on with a broken jaw which says it all.

I'm sure Khan will like to forget both Prescott and Barrera (rematches avoided like the plague against both). And come on mate you being serious you expect Khan to box Maidanas head off? Sure Maidana has a terrible defense and is somewhat of a swashbuckling lunatic with his shot selection, but if anyone is going to have his head blown off it will be Khan as Maidana swings hard and is more accurate than the likes of Prescott.

I dont see Khan fighting Maidana, Bradley or Alexander in his upcoming fights unless he grows a pair and actually decides to take on real boxers. He is a cash cow right now so no doubt Oscar will want to do the same as Frank and milk that as much as possible.

If Khan wants to earn some respect, he should put the Prescott nightmare behind him by fighting him and beating him comprehensively. And then take on the mandatory challenger Maidana before flouting names.

I wouldnt be the least what suprised if he fails to fight Maidana and relinquishes his belt to avoid the mandatory challenge.

Khan looked very impressive but lets not forget Paulie isn't a big puncher and very rarely knocks people out, he is 1 of those boxers that can take a punch and also last the distance 90% of the time.

Amir should have had him out of there in 6 if he was so impressive, it is just he was bixing against a should be retired Malinaggi, who proved he was past his best and didn't cause Amir any problems, which was going to be expected as it was his 1st fight in the US and they want him to look impressive as it is the biggest market for British boxers.

Roach has done wonders with Khan but to think he could go onto the next level and call out Maidana is a big mistake as Maidana is going to hit hard and accurate but will also get caught with Amir's stunning speed.

As for the Mitchell - Katsidis fight, Mitchell got what he deserves, he came with the talk in his hometown but the boy got obliterated against a very good Katsidis who most would have underestimated.

Back