Keeping Old Skills Alive

orie2010

Inactive User
Reaction score
I enjoy woodworking and its becoming a lost trade and the quality is far beyound factory made items.

I enjoy woodworking and its becoming a lost trade and the quality is far beyound factory made items.

Nobody has the time for fancy mortice/dovetail joints anymore, If you can't nail it, screw it, or even glue it, then I am afraid it's going to be an expensive job. :)

It is sad to see these old skills disappearing, so nice to see nice hand-made joints. But, as @miggy says, it's expensive compared with mass produced stuff, and few are prepared to pay the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is sad to see these old skills disappearing, so nice to see nice hand-made joints. But, as @miggy says, it's expensive compared with mass produced stuff, and few are prepared to pay the difference.

this is my handmade joint

A-large-marijuana-joint-010.jpg

The benefits for me far out way going cheap if I can make an entertainment center for $300-$400 and a couple weekends myself. It will last a lifetime over a few years compared to the 70 dollar Walmart version. :)

Wow, you must be good! A couple of weekends? It'd take me literally weeks lol! My dad did something similar a good few years back. He (or my mother probably) saw a nice coffee table- called a Pandora's Box-, but it was well over £1000, and this was back in the early '80's, a small fortune then. So he took some measurements and set about making one himself.
Well, they've still got it to this day and he reckons he saved the best part of £1000 by making it himself. It took a lot longer than a couple of weekends though.....

pbt.jpg

The benefits for me far out way going cheap if I can make an entertainment center for $300-$400 and a couple weekends myself. It will last a lifetime over a few years compared to the 70 dollar Walmart version. :)

Back