Just got a 3.3E Wii

robc11

DW Regular
Reaction score
Right lads first of all hope you all had a good Christmas. Here goes, ive just got my Wii from santa today for being a good boy lol. Ive had a look at the softmodding for dummies final and can safely say i understand it, now would this be the best way to get to playing 'backups'. Shall i update to 3.4 before i install the homebrew/backup channel or stay on 3.3? Also should i purchase Zelda or just rent it/borrow it because if ill need it in future id rather just but it.
TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
HI
I just did mine today bu following this sticky

Wii Softmodding for Dummies: Final.

I then read

essential softmod security: read me

as instructed and changed the firmware to 3.2e and installed Starfall

I asked some questions on this thread

if softmod + downgrade isnt working for u
And got some great advice on Christmas day.

Thanks everyone

imo, i would go for a chip install mate.

so much easier to rectify problems and also they play the majourity og backups

Right i get it, i think lol. What i need to do is install the twighlight hack firstly then downgrade to 3.2e and then install starfall. Obviously its more in depth than that i know, im gonna start once i get a copy of Zelda twilight princess so just going to pop out now and get it.

Better get your headset on ROB and as we play WAW you can guide a complete fool through the whole process (probably more than once )lol.

until youve helped me rob you will not know the definition of thick c**t

No,

Just installed the 'backup channel' on a mates wii as ours was chipped a week after buying it last Novemebr so needed a 'virgin' wii to install it on

It worked first time, sort of, I got a balck screen inbetween installed some of the WADs as per the guide, but the homebrew channel was installed perfectly. My mates running 3,1e firmware so couldn't get why it wouldn't work as per the guide

So, I deleted the homebrew channel, started again, but this time installed the homebrew channel then reset the wii as per the guide

Then I went to install the WADs one after the other, without resetting the wii inbetween each WAD installation as this caused the black screen issue, reset the wii after installing ALL the WADs as described in the guide once the homebrew channel was installed

Backup channel installed perfectly after the reset, so try installing them all once the homebrew channel is installed

When installed on our chipped wii the guide worked perfectly, but on my mates I had to try the different method above, end result was it worked on his unmodded and unchipped wii that was less than 3 months old, running 3.1e firmware

I took along my backup copy of Guitar Hero just to make it a bit more difficult for the backup channel as thats a custom hacked Guitar Hero 3 to play Guitar Hero songs, it worked perfectlt on my mates 42" plasma with no issues at all

The only issue is that the homebrew channel is now on v10.1, but the installed version in the softmod guide is v9, don't think it makes that much difference, but I have updated my version of the guide to v10.1 so the next install I do should be the very latest release of the homebrew channel

Right done it all now, installed twighlight hack, downgraded to 3.2e and installed starfall. Ive tried the homebrews from the homebrew browser and its working fine just need to burn a backup to check all is ok. When i start the homebrew channel i get a message asking to update, is it safe to do so shall i just go for it?

homebrew channel checks for updates when it starts.
I am on the latest version

Changelog of versions here:
hXXp://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel#1.0.1

homebrew channel checks for updates when it starts.
I am on the latest version

Changelog of versions here:
hXXp://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel#1.0.1

Cheers mate i will update it then, ive now tried a couple of backups which worked fine, now to get some more from the iso store;):Jester:

Last edited:
Back