Inter Milan sack manager Rafael Benitez

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
Inter Milan have parted company with manager Rafael Benitez just over six months after appointing the Spaniard.

The move follows Benitez asking for backing from the board to buy players following the Serie A side's Club World Cup win over TP Mazembe last Saturday.

A statement on Inter's website said "a mutually satisfactory agreement for the early termination of his [Benitez's] contract" had been agreed.

Benitez took over from Jose Mourinho at the San Siro in June.

Mourinho, who left for Real Madrid, led Inter to the Serie A title, the Italian Cup and the Champions League glory last season and left his successor with a hard act to follow.

Benitez was named Inter manager a week after leaving Liverpool on 3 June and, although he had injuries to key players to contend with, the 50-year-old's exploits have not helped his cause.

Inter are 13 points behind Serie A leaders and arch-rivals AC Milan and struggling for form.

Although they have two games in hand on the teams above them in the league table, the Nerazzurri are languishing in seventh place having won only six of their 15 league games.

In defence of their Champions League crown, Inter could only finish as group runners-up behind Tottenham to leave them facing a difficult tie against Bayern Munich in the last 16.

Even though Inter won the Club World Cup by beating TP Mazembe, it did not leave Benitez in a strong enough position to survive his outburst after the match.

"There are three possibilities for the club," said Benitez. "One, 100% support for the coach and buy four or five players to build a stronger team with competition among the players to be able to carry on winning matches and trophies.

"Two, carry on like this without a project, without planning, and go ahead with one person to blame, for the whole season.

"The third," he added, "is to speak to my agent to reach an agreement if there is not this support. Simple."

Inter president Massimo Moratti was less than impressed by Benitez's comments and said they "were not suitable for the situation" before adding it was "not the moment to ask for reinforcements".

Consequently, the Inter board has removed Benitez with the Serie A season currently on a winter break and Inter's next game scheduled for 6 January at home to Napoli.

"Inter thank Rafael Benitez for his work in leading his team to success in the Italian Super Cup and the Fifa Club World Cup," added the San Siro club.

Italian news agency Ansa quoted Moratti as saying: " "I'm sorry the relationship with Benitez is over, but the split had become inevitable."

BBC Sport - Football - Inter Milan sack manager Rafael Benitez

what a complete tw*t this rafa 'beneath us' is! he has totally ruined a treble winning side in a matter of 6 months and then asks the president/chairman for £££ for an extra 5-6 players as the ones he has arent good enough lol.. he called wesley sneidjer a poor mans dirk kuyt so u can see he has totally lost the plot.... somebody else would be mad to employ this nut-job!

Inter Milan have parted company with manager Rafael Benitez just over six months after appointing the Spaniard.

The move follows Benitez asking for backing from the board to buy players following the Serie A side's Club World Cup win over TP Mazembe last Saturday.

A statement on Inter's website said "a mutually satisfactory agreement for the early termination of his [Benitez's] contract" had been agreed.

Mourinho, who left for Real Madrid, led Inter to the Serie A title, the Italian Cup and the Champions League glory last season and left his successor with a hard act to follow.

Benitez was named Inter manager a week after leaving Liverpool on 3 June and, although he had injuries to key players to contend with, the 50-year-old's exploits have not helped his cause.

Inter are 13 points behind Serie A leaders and arch-rivals AC Milan and struggling for form.

Although they have two games in hand on the teams above them in the league table, the Nerazzurri are languishing in seventh place having won only six of their 15 league games.

In defence of their Champions League crown, Inter could only finish as group runners-up behind Tottenham to leave them facing a difficult tie against Bayern Munich in the last 16.

Even though Inter won the Club World Cup by beating TP Mazembe, it did not leave Benitez in a strong enough position to survive his outburst after the match.

"There are three possibilities for the club," said Benitez. "One, 100% support for the coach and buy four or five players to build a stronger team with competition among the players to be able to carry on winning matches and trophies.

"Two, carry on like this without a project, without planning, and go ahead with one person to blame, for the whole season.

"The third," he added, "is to speak to my agent to reach an agreement if there is not this support. Simple."

Inter president Massimo Moratti was less than impressed by Benitez's comments and said they "were not suitable for the situation" before adding it was "not the moment to ask for reinforcements".

Consequently, the Inter board has removed Benitez with the Serie A season currently on a winter break and Inter's next game scheduled for 6 January at home to Napoli.

"Inter thank Rafael Benitez for his work in leading his team to success in the Italian Super Cup and the Fifa Club World Cup," added the San Siro club.

Italian news agency Ansa quoted Moratti as saying: " "I'm sorry the relationship with Benitez is over, but the split had become inevitable."

what a complete tw*t this rafa 'beneath us' is! he has totally ruined a treble winning side in a matter of 6 months and then asks the president/chairman for £££ for an extra 5-6 players as the ones he has arent good enough lol.. he called wesley sneidjer a poor mans dirk kuyt so u can see he has totally lost the plot.... somebody else would be mad to employ this nut-job!

Am not really that bothered about the Rafa thing but would you like to show me where he called Sneider a poor mans Dirk Kuyt, because I think that you may be mistaken with this statement

Careful m80 they aint quite got over him yet you might end up with a backlash lol. Go on Rafa lad treat em mean keep em keen.

25i0isx.jpg

Am not really that bothered about the Rafa thing but would you like to show me where he called Sneider a poor mans Dirk Kuyt, because I think that you may be mistaken with this statement

i'll try finding the source.. he didnt say it in public but he said it to the inter president, massimo moratti in private. that along with the outburst after the world club final was the final straw apparently...

Rafa is a clown, he takes over a team built by Mourinho that has just won the treble, and wins 2 novelty trophies aka super cup and club world cup, and thinks hes top sh1t.
He did the same when he took over at Liverpool, won the champions league with Houlliers team.

He is useless, always blames others when things go wrong, and takes all the credit when things go right.

Rafa is a clown, he takes over a team built by Mourinho that has just won the treble, and wins 2 novelty trophies aka super cup and club world cup, and thinks hes top sh1t.
He did the same when he took over at Liverpool, won the champions league with Houlliers team.

He is useless, always blames others when things go wrong, and takes all the credit when things go right.

So were those trophies noveltys when Man u won them or were they a prestigious trophy then?

So were those trophies noveltys when Man u won them or were they a prestigious trophy then?

You have to win MAJOR trophies to qualify for those novelty cups which is the achievement. It was Maureens and Houlliers teams that won the big silver and it's been Rafa that dropped Liverpool and Inter to 7th, blokes an effin expert.

As an evertonion i think rafa was class as a manager "no messing"he never wanted to leave he was paid off to go 3m.
liverpool fc r in a bad state at the moment due to the old and new owners ..there yanks and jokes.just look at man u if it wasnt for old red nose.and the iron fist. were would they be ?.
they dont give a shite about the game or wot it means.
the game needs pay as u play contracts full stop. maybe they might play the way they can.managers are only as good as there players !!!!!!!!!

You have to win MAJOR trophies to qualify for those novelty cups which is the achievement. It was Maureens and Houlliers teams that won the big silver and it's been Rafa that dropped Liverpool and Inter to 7th, blokes an effin expert.

OK so does winning La Liga (twice) count as a major trophy, and does winning the Eufa cup count as a Major trophy that got him into the Eufa super cup which he also won?

As I said earlier in this thread I am not really bothered about Rafa anymore, but it does annoy me when I see Man U fans talking boll*x

Rafa's overrated, how many times has everybody slated him for his stupid rotation policy at Liverpool ?

Not to mention the fact that he's made some dodgy sales, I mean Riise was one for me but especially Alonso. He wanted to swap him for Gareth Barry but deal couldn't be brokered so was kept on - that year Liverpool ended up finishing 2nd just behind Man U - Alonso being at the heart of it all. The following season he's sold and we all know what's happened since.

As for Inter, he's inherited Mourinho's team and he lasts 6 months in the job and was way behind the league leaders in the campaign. Then he's giving ultimatums to the board because he's simply not good enough. Lol says it all....

Signs of a good manager is taking a floundering team and turning them around, look no further than Jose Mourinho. Proven good mananger wherever he's been. Consistently. Best manager in world football for me.

Last edited:
god help u lot wen old piss head retirers !!!!!!!

IF

Fergie looks like the only way he's coming out of Old Trafford is in a box and even then Maureen might be mature enough for the job ;)

@ langland Rafa won La Liga with Cupers team which was an extremely talented group of players when Lafa took over. lafa signed one decent player and di well for 2 seasons before reverting to type seeing Valencia finish 5th.

Back