insurance claim for a fire

DOOBIE

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all as you might know last year my house caught fire and we have had to move in to rented accomodation our nationwide insurace is supposed to be 5* but we are having a nightmare since the fire we have had to
find book and pay for our own hotels which we recived payment for a week later
find our own flat to rent move in and which they paid another company to do but they looked on the internet and couldnt find anything we had to do move our last undamaged possesions in the car which now stinks of smoke
also we had to find our own builder get the quotes from 2 different ones forward them to our loss ajuster who appointes one of them
the rented property we found has had no rent paid to them since we moved in before crimbo which we then have to use our time and money to phone one company or another to let them know who said what
now they are expecting us to go through and price up every individual item on this "beyond economical repair" list which is 14 pages of double sided a4 wrote in Excell and to be honest im sick to the back teeth of it all i feel as me and the missus are doing the work our insurance should be doing
our insurance was sold to us as a 5* anything goes wrong you dont lift a finger to sort it but we have had to basically instigate everthing from calling an emergency builder to cover the burnt roof at the start to moving ourselves in and playing receptionist IS THIS NORMAL AS I HAVE NEVER HAD INSURANCE BEFORE AND I DONT SEE WHAT MY £30 A MONTH I PAY IS DOING ???

@ Doobie

Hi mate, This seems to be the norm with insurance companies, I had a fire at my home a couple of years ago and the insurers loss adjuster wanted to have all my furniture and dry goods cleaned by a company so as not to have to replace them.
I made several enquiries and finally got my own independent loss adjuster who arranged everything from the clear out replacement and refurbishment for me.
The only problem I had was the insurance quoted for a replacement kitchen area and I think I paid for a kitchen they quoted for as well as the one fitted by our loss adjuster.
Seems to be that as with all insurers they are only there for themselves in most cases and you pay for something you are forced to have by law that isn't always worth the paper it's written on.

cheers m8 just thought it was a pi$$ take they expect us to carry on doing there job for them thought they should price our belongings up as we have started it but 100 hours of ebay google amzoning for the collectables we had later were only half way through

i feel ur pain m8........
have my business insured for 117,000 grand.

last october we had a fire that totally destroyed the place and all my stock/equip etc.

fire brigade pulled the back security gates out of the wall to get access, fair enuff.....

Insurance co. arrived 1 week later, although they're supposed to supply locksmiths and other tradesmen as part of my cover......I'm still fighting with them for anything....

even had csi guys trawl tru the place......

eventually told me to get my own builders, plumbers, electricians etc, submit the quotes and they'll pay coz all their tradesmen are busy.......aaargh

well 1 week to february and I still havent received fooook all.......

right i see that this is more normal than expected i am gonna write a letter to loss ajuster letting him know i have had enough and that i am not will to do his job for him any longer the ber list he can price up or he can pay me to do it my contents insurance is 35 grand so in the letter am just going to say it comes to 45 grand feck em lol

@ bod hope you get through it m8 glad its my house and not a busness as mine would have folded by now

Rip the total **** out it, Chances are they will try and do that do you, Soo had a couple of grand for "extra things" you'v forgotten about, and loads of money for cloths and things.

Dont leave anything off. And if there still ripping the **** i'd pop in and have a chat with a solicitor!

Hope you get it sorted mate. Insurance companies are becoming the bain of society today. We had the bankers before now these feckers will screw us.

have my business insured for 117,000 grand.

117 Million:FRIGHT:
wowsers, I'd burn down my company for that ;)
:banana:
I've not had a house fire but when we had water damage our insurance did everything. Sent out a loss adjuster and she did the lot. This was 8 years ago though so I guess it's changed and they are all rubbish now.

117 Million:FRIGHT:
wowsers, I'd burn down my company for that ;)
:banana:
I've not had a house fire but when we had water damage our insurance did everything. Sent out a loss adjuster and she did the lot. This was 8 years ago though so I guess it's changed and they are all rubbish now.

grand=millions.........what planet

Interesting read this thread does seem like the loss adjuster on OP claim is pissing about and not doing his job. Use your right to complain don't forget the FOS.

It makes me laugh people who think insurance has a bottomless pit of money for claims and who claim for everything add a bit here and a bit here after all its only insurance and fraud is ok. After all the people who only ever claim in an emergency have to pay for all the serial claimers who claim for bloody everything real or not. They have there premiums increased when they are claim free while these people see it as a source of income.

My home insurance has gone up by 30% this year and have never claimed. Don't forget for everybody who claims more than they pay in premiums, somebody else has to cover the shortfall.

Last edited:
Back