How to Boot PS2 backups on PS3(60gb)

deedie

DW Regular
Reaction score
This is a tutorial on how to boot Playstation 2 ISO's on the PS3 via external HDD. The original founder of this method was ifcaro, this tutorial is a step-by-step method on how to get PS2 ISO's to run on your PS3. Original thread can be viewed here. PS3Hax takes no responsibility of damage caused to your PS3 through this method, and all information here is for informational/educational purposes only.

What you need:

Swap Magic 3.6+/3.8 (Must be actual copy, burned copies do NOT work).
Launch PS3 PAL (60gb units)
Flash Drive (PSP in USB MODE will also work).

Download the USBAdvance Tutorial File Pack [PAL].

Extract the contents of the folder USBADVANCE to the root of your flash drive.

Place the Playstation 2 ISO's of your choice to your external HDD/flash drive. You need to have them properly formmated and copied over via USBUtil(is included in file you downloaded above). If you are not sure how to do this, there is a quick tutorial that guides you through the process. Make sure your USB/Flash drive is plugged into your PS3.

Boot up SWAPMAGIC and once loaded into the menu screen, people who are using swapmagic v3.6 press UP (on D-Pad)+L2 on your PS3 controller to browse through your flash drive. People that are using Swapmagic v3.8 go to the SMBOOT menu and select uLaunch from there. In the pack provided uLaunch is SMBOOT1. Go to configure, select any button you want (I usually use X or O), go to MISC and select FILEBROWSER binding it to the selected button, go down and hit ok. Now go to the browser. (Props to Crono for telling us how to use v3.8 Swapmagic). If you are unable to view your flash drive, then it is not compatible (use another one).

USB Loader should start running now. And there you have it, if you followed this tutorial properly you should see the Playstation 2 ISO's there and just click and launch

Copying backups to your USB Drive

Format your external drive/usb drive to FAT/FAT16/FAT32 format.
In the download pack you downloaded there should be a folder called USBUtil, go inside that and run the EXE.
Go to FILE and click on "OPEN ISO to create game".
Search and click on your PS2 backup, and click CREATE.
The program will now copy the ISO over to your pendrive (it takes some time).

F.A.Q

Q: Does this work on my 40gb/80gb PAL/NTSC/JAP System? And will it ever?
A: No. No. No. No. No. No method has been released yet for these systems and unsure when in future.

Q: Does this work on NTSC PS3's?
A: Yes read: Load PS2 ISO's on PS3 via USBADVANCE (External HDD) [20/60gb NTSC/JAP SKU] - PS3HaX Network - PS3 Hacks

Q: But my PS3 is backwards compatible, why doesn't this work?
A: It does not work with SOFTWARE EMULATION (which is what your PS3 most likely has). If its not a "launch unit" it will NOT WORK RIGHT NOW.

Q: How do I know if my unit is a LAUNCH UNIT?
A: If your PAL then its the 60gb SKU.

Q: Does this work on NTSC PS3's?
A: Yes - launch units only. )

Q: Will it work on a PS3 with no Emotion Engine?
A: No not yet.

Q: Does this boot from PS3 internal HDD?
A: No you need a external.

Q: What version of SWAP MAGIC do I need?
A: 3.6+ or 3.8

Q: Where can I buy Swap Magic?
A: Here and here.

Q: Swap Magic cant see my USB for somereason
A: It is probably not compatible, buy another one.

Here is the SUPER EASY method to run USB Loader.
1. Create a folder on a compatible USB Device (ie: PSP) called SWAPMAGIC.
2. Place the USBLD_0.2b.elf file in this folder and rename it SMBOOT0.elf
3. If you are using the same drive to boot the game from place it in the root of the drive.
4. Load Swap Magic with the USB Device in the FIRST USB port.
5. Press UP and L1 and USB Loader should boot.
6. Press X for a PAL console or O for a NTSC console
7. Wait for USB Loader to boot and select your game.

I don't see how this would work for anyone in europe as all european PS3's even launch 60GB models had no emotion engine !

if the 60gb ps3 plays ps2 games from discs, then there is no reason why it wouldnt play them from a hard drive

Thats a good point, it's just that it says it will only work on the emotion engine, and therefore might not work via the emulator ?

I will give it a go, i have an original 60gb ( although its over 200 now ) uk release, still software driven, i have just ordered some swap magic disks as i threw away the ones i had ages ago, i even tried usbadvance when i first got the system, but that didnt want to know, couldnt detect drive was what it said. As soon as my disk turns up i will give this a blast and let you know, cheers

Thats a good point, it's just that it says it will only work on the emotion engine, and therefore might not work via the emulator ?

Still waiting on the disks, but i have had a thought, it says that I have to format the external hd to fat/fat32 so how does it put anything over 4gb onto it? Does the util program manage it somehow as quite a few of the ps2 games are over the 4gb size, was just a thought while i wait, its been shipped so should be here either tomoz or sat fingers crossed :)

I will use that program fat32format which can make any size hd into fat32 its just the file size of the iso that im worried about

cool. let us know how it goes

apparently the usbutility that u use for putting the iso's into the right format breaks the iso's up into 1gb chunks. so it will play ps2 games that are over 4gb.

Ideal, im bloody waiting for the postman, im half thinkin it wont work but the other half is saying come on, then i can get rid of the ps2 from the living room :)

apparently the usbutility that u use for putting the iso's into the right format breaks the iso's up into 1gb chunks. so it will play ps2 games that are over 4gb.

it definately works. but not sure how many games are compatible with it.

dont know if there is a list anywhere, i will have a look later and see if i can find one

Yay, the swap magic 3.6 plus has turned up at last, am going to drop the misses to work around mid-day then will have a go at this, expect an update this afty to see if i have got it to work, fingers crossed :)

Ok, no success so far,

This is what I have done, formatted my drive using fat32format

Copied contents of the USBAdvance folder onto the hd

Run the utils program and copied across a game

I have done this on 2 different drives now, one was a sata the other a standard ide

Both times i get the same result

I connect the hd to the ps3, the ps3 can see this drive, then I load the swap magic disk

After loading I press up and L2 as instructed

This is where its going wrong, I dont see my hd to browse through as instructed

I get some foreign language im guessing which says cant find hd

This is what im getting:

'USBLD Version 0.2

Dedicado a todas aquellas personas que les gusta investigar y no esperan a que se lo den todo hencho.

Buscando USBD...
No se ha encontrao ningun USBD.IRX'

The tutorial states 'If you are unable to view your flash drive, then it is not compatible (use another one). '

Well thats a sata and a standard ide now, not memory sticks but proper hard drives

What else can I use, I dont have any memory sticks over 2gig, i have dofferent ide drives, but they are much the same

Any ideas, or translation of the above, im think im right when I say its basically saying it cant find the USBD.IRX file which I have copied onto the drive

I will keep trying at this with another drive, but some help might be appreciated :)

One question, the sata drive is 60 gig, the ide 120, is there a drive limit size???

Ok

It WORKS on my PS3 PAL original 60gig

Here is what I have done

I have copied the USB.irx file to the mc0: virtual mem card using ulaunchelf

dont forget to make a folder first called BEDATA-SYSTEM

USB.irx must go inside that

Now i have loaded swap magic 6+ up

Pressed up and r1 and then pressed down on pad

press circle for config menu

press circle on defualt menu

come down to misc - select filebrowser by pressing circle

now come down to ok and press circle

wait for 10 seconds to finish ( you can shorten this time in previous menu )

new menu now - come down to swapmagic folder

select smboot1.elf

ifcaro usb loader will load

now this is what i have done, it detected a flash pen, but it was only 1gig, so no good
it wouldnt detect a 10 gig ide hard drive

but...

it has detected my sata 60 gig 2.5 inch drive inside a caddy

am now playing bolt - if you need a video of me doing this then ask away

I CAN CONFIRM PAL 60 GIG ORIGINAL WITH PS2 PLAYBACK NOW PLAYING PS2 BACKUPS

many thanks to all involved

nice one mate unlucky for me i have a 40gb version heres a rough translation from babel of the prob you had

Dedicated to all those people whom they like to investigate and they do not hope to that they occur to everything hencho it. Looking for USBD… Encontrao is not had any USBD.IRX'

im guessing the 40 gig just dont play ps2 originals does it, grrrr, makes you mad, because i think any ps3 that can play ps2 originals will be able to use this

Hope my guide helps, i only have to press the up and L2 now to launch the usb loader each time :)

will try all the favs out later, like singstar etc :)

Back