Help with my 1st PC Build

dodger

Member ++
Reaction score
Hello - i've decided to take the plundge into self build. I need a small form factor pc to please the wife. Here's the comps i have selected & was wondering if any kind person would give me the nod to if it would be a decentish pc for the price & of course will it work?

Case - Shuttle SN78H7 (for AM2 & AM2+) (inc MOBO & 300w PSU)

- Phenom x2 550 3.1Ghz black edition

Kingston KHX8500D2/2G HyperX 2GB PC2-8500 1066MHz DDR2 Non-ECC 240pin DIMM.

1TB Seagate ST31000520AS Barracuda LP, SATA 3Gb/s, 5900rpm, 32MB Cache, 5.1 ms

Sony AD7241S 24x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer & RAM Burner + LightScribe Black Bare Drive - OEM

Add GFX later

Was going to put Win 7 Ultimate (32 bit) on it, as that is what I have already (can I obtain a free upgrade to 64 bit?)

costs about £375 + PP

Thanks for your help!
:Drums:

They'll all work together. Personally I'd go for a Samsung Spinpoint over the Barracuda.

You'll be able to use your Win7 key for the 64 bit version. If you purchased the retail box you should have got the 64bit disc in the box, if OEM then you'll have to contact MS to send you one (admin charge applies). Failing that grab it from the 'usual places'.

FWIW, small form factor cases are great for media centres and general purpose PCs. However, they're not very good for hardcore gaming as the higher power graphics cards tend to overheat due to the more restrictive air flow.

Thanks - i'm no going to be using for hard core gaming - i use my xbox for that but i may add mid range card later for a bit of causing gaming, if i can get games from the usual places.

I had a 80Gb spinpoint drive fail on my freeview recorder so that has made me wary of samsung.

I obtained a developers copy of 7 ultimate 32 bit - so the key for this will work for 64 bit then? nice - so I may invest in a another 2Gb ram at a later date.

As i new to building - is it a case of puting the compents in, in order. switching the pc on and putting in the windows disc & that should be it?

thanks for your input.

i'm opting for eco (green) components due to the 300w PSU in the hope i don't burn out the psu when adding the gfx & tv card.

I was hoping to put in a freeview HD card into it, once they become more common.

thanks again

Seagate drives do last a while (not that I've had issue with any of my 6 Spinpoints), but they aren't as quiet as they used to be.

The lower RPM hard drives are fine for storage, but not usually recommended for operating systems. Whilst noise is generally lower, the difference in power usage between a 5400RPM and 7200RPM drive is a few Watts, unless you are approching the load for your PSU it's not normally something you should be worrying about.

Do you know what the layout of the PCI/PCI-e slots is like on that shuttle? I know in early days of SSF (i.e. AGP) the 'dual slot' graphics cards would foul the only PCI expansion slot. :doh:

By 'dev copy' of Win7 do you mean technet, RC (build 7100) or something else? If you mean your key is from a technet account, you should be fine. If you meant RC, then the keys will be blocked from Windows Update from June this year.

By 'dev copy' of Win7 do you mean technet, RC (build 7100) or something else? If you mean your key is from a technet account, you should be fine. If you meant RC, then the keys will be blocked from Windows Update from June this year.

I'm not sure what RC (build 7100) is, The disk was given to me by someone in Oct, he's in the business of building systems and is involved in a LAN gaming shop. he didn't give me any indication that it would be blocked at any time.

Is there a way I can tell it's RC 7100?

thanks

RC stands for release candidate, the 7100 figure refers to the build number.

If you've got Win7 installed [winkey]+[R] > winver will give you a dialogue box that tells you the build number.

If it's an official MS disc you've nothing to worry about. MS didn't produce them for the RC. If it's one your mate burnt off for you I'm not sure how you'd check without installing and using the method above.

thanks bud - i've got it installed on 2 laptops at the moment - so will try that. Thanks.

as before is it just a case of 'chucking the stuff' in when building the pc and installing the os and that's it really, except for some drivers 'n' stuff?

Thanks.

Usually the most difficult part is making sure the CPU is orientated the correct way (there are notches and arrows to help you line it up). However, in the case of SSF PCs fitting the heat sink can be a little awkward...

Back