HELP - Painting Calipers - Nightmare !!

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi

Been getting gear in order to do this and want to spray not paint as the finish will be better. Following this guide -

Got this high temp paint but the finish is matt !! - V.H.T. Paint - Red - 400ml Aerosol [HY-UK1003] - £5.49 - Wilco Direct - For All Your Motoring Needs

So got some of this high coat lacquer to cover stickers/gloss finish and it bubbles on contact and seems really thin with no gloss !!! -

HIGH TEMP ENGINE CLEAR LACQUER-AEROSOL -MOTIP- on eBay, also, Other DIY Materials, DIY Materials, Home Garden (end time 15-May-09 16:49:02 BST)

I have only tested this on old piece metal, is the paint no good as its matt ?

Is the lacquer wrong type - acrylic ??

Need help here, would this be a better lacquer over matt -
HYCOTE CLEAR ENGINE LACQUER -GLOSS FINISH - 400ml on eBay, also, Paint Body Shop Supplies, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 12-Jun-09 14:32:44 BST)

Or should i buy some generic clear gloss enamel ????

Cheers

i know you said you want spray but i used hammerite paint (red smooth) 2years ago on our calipers and its still has bright has the day i put it on mate.

The VHT spray i used to use in my old job to spray engine shields etc and it does go patchy after a while and you do need many many coats for it to look half decent.

Hi

Been getting gear in order to do this and want to spray not paint as the finish will be better. Following this guide -

Got this high temp paint but the finish is matt !! - V.H.T. Paint - Red - 400ml Aerosol [HY-UK1003] - £5.49 - Wilco Direct - For All Your Motoring Needs

So got some of this high coat lacquer to cover stickers/gloss finish and it bubbles on contact and seems really thin with no gloss !!! -

HIGH TEMP ENGINE CLEAR LACQUER-AEROSOL -MOTIP- on eBay, also, Other DIY Materials, DIY Materials, Home Garden (end time 15-May-09 16:49:02 BST)

I have only tested this on old piece metal, is the paint no good as its matt ?

Is the lacquer wrong type - acrylic ??

Need help here, would this be a better lacquer over matt -
HYCOTE CLEAR ENGINE LACQUER -GLOSS FINISH - 400ml on eBay, also, Paint Body Shop Supplies, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 12-Jun-09 14:32:44 BST)

Or should i buy some generic clear gloss enamel ????

Cheers

Rather than paint your calipers why don't you put different coloured socks on?

Poor taste, I know, get mi coat.....

trust me u best of painting them using a brush

i did my calipers in red using halfords caliper paint

its got a mint gloss finish and looks good

these aresol based paints for calipers .etc aint good

i tried them and never could get them to look good

If you going to use caliper paint, apply a primer(basecoat) first.

Make sure its the corect primer, can get alsorts of primers on the market, metal, plastic, wood, etc.

And then apply your caliper paint, and build the coats of, nice thin layers, and you will get a better effect.

But as someone said previously, use hammerite. You cant go wrong with it and it tough and durable.

Spray painter to trade.

If i do use Hammerite red smooth i still need to apply transfers and protect them, can i use the VHT high gloss clear lacquer.

Anybody want to buy some VHT spray paint....lol

i never lacquered mine because usualy thats the thing that peels/flakes off when jet washed

poundland does the vht paint now and again by the way but only in black so far

Back