HELP - How do i put printer on wireless network ? Print from my laptops etc?

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I canon ip4000 that is connected to my base station computer via usb and always constantly on. The basestation pc is connected wireless to my Linksys router as are my 2 netbooks and 1 laptop.

I hardly EVER use the base station pc always laptops/netbooks/iphone.

Whenever i want to print something i always put it on a stick then plug it into my base station and porint it from there which is a pain !!!!

How can i get all my devices to find this printer and just print direct to it ???

Also can this be done via my iphone ?

Thanks

if you right click and go to "printer" properties, you should see a "share" then just share it on your network, then on the devices you want to add it to, add printer, and then search for a networked printer, you should then see it appear, then add it and it then should download and install the drivers for it.

..or you could create a folder on the machines and share it and then what ever you drop in there would appear on the other machines. share drives, share printers all the same, but gone of the days of USB matey, you should be "sharing" folders and stuff across your network. :)

09-01-201315-22-40.jpg

Last edited:
I have shared it on my main PC and it has a name CanonPIX, i can not get it on my lappy though when i right click add printer wizard.

Select - a network printer or printer attached to another computer >

Browse for printer > asks for prin ter s name and states microsoft network ????

can you ping it's ip address from the laptop? has it been found on any of your other machines....?

have you got user name and passwords enabled on all machines.....

you can add it using its IP address, or name (see 2nd screen shot) give it a static one in DCHP.

09-01-201318-53-49.jpg

09-01-201318-54-23.jpg

Last edited:
The network does not show or its asks for adddress ?

specifyaprinter_zpse173ced1.png

So what do i select from above ?

have a look over this mate.

Link removed as irrelevant.

can you ping it from the lap top....

ah hang on you wont be able to ping it as it doesn't have an IP address, Doh!, I was thinking it was on your network mate....

Last edited:
nice one wiz, :)

I have a usb and a networked printer, it's been that long since I used the usb one (it prints cd's) that I just presumed that everyone has everything on their networks....lead him up the garden path with trying to ping in and stuff.. :( my bad..... (again..lol!)

here is my usb one now shared, when you share it give it a smaller name, something easy. unlike mine....

09-01-201320-24-25.jpg

Last edited:
I have this on my network connections page, the patch cable just stopped working one with the ethernetcard day so i just stuck u usb wireless one in and used that ?

network1_zps8919065f.png

is that the machine that your wanting to add it too? or the machine that has the printer attached to it?

That is the machine with the printer attached to it.

Back