HELP - Combi Boiler not lighting - main flame ?

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi

My old faithfull Ferroli Optima 601 (8 years old) is starting to play up. Firstly i was getting no Hot Water and know the heating is sarting to play up.

Pressure in the CH system is fine. Also pilot is always lit. It first statred playing up with hot water only. Turn HW tap on and remoains cold, goto boiler and can see the main burner has not ignited, give the boiler a 'bang' and can hear relay switching and main burner ignites and i get hot water.

It is also starting to do the exact same with heating now also. I turn heating on via remote stat, can hear the pump/fan kicking in at boiler BUT again main burner is firing up, give it a 'bang' and it ignites and heating works fine.

This is obviousley something simple but nobody seems to have the answer ? I am guessing a pressure switch or divertor valve ??

I have downloaded the manual and it gives a fault finding LED diagram, but according to that all is fine.

Any plumbers out there got any ideas ??

Cheers

I aint no plumber but it sounds like it may be the diaphram m8.

I had a similar problem a while ago.

UPDATE - This is getting even worse now. I have been fiddling with boiler and turned gas supply off and extinguished pilot light BUT cannot relight it.

Pump is running, allsettings set to max etc but there is no spark whatsoever, not even clicking noise.....

Anyone help me here ??? On the coldest night of winter as well....!!!!

Which diaphram you on about mate ???

Cheers

When i disconnect one of the 2 pipes going to the air pressure switch (43) a relay energises and another LED lights ( i did not notice this one before as it is seperate from the rest). This then allows me to light the boiler.

As soon as i reconnect the pipe it goes into fault again. (led off).

Also if i suck on the exposed nipple end (lol) of the pressure switch it goes healthy (led on/relay on).

This to me proves the pressure switch is working.

What is the most common problem associated with these boilers, what should i be looking for ? Blocked pipe/flue ??

Cheers

Also what got me confused is that most plumbers where calling this swich a flow switch and me being from electrical background would regard it as a pressure switch....

ta

Just finished putting it all back together. noticed a slight build up in exit flue pipe so cleaned that. Also cleaned all inside burner, around fan, all pipes etc.

It is now working fine.

Cheers guys.

so the good news is yer roof is still on and yer warming up no gas leaks there then???

so the good news is yer roof is still on and yer warming up no gas leaks there then???

Nah, no worries with gas, you can smell it anyway. Just make sure carbon Monoxide detector is working. That's the naughty one. :Laugh:

Back