Hard Drive - to usb problems - possibly jumper settings

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hi all i have a hard drive here, well it was fitted into my bro's computer and every time it got past the initial windows loading screen the computer would restart.

I've pulled it out and have one of them usb connectors for it and power, the usb ones.

This is the story so far.

i could get it to be recognized under windows, and even in computer management,i couldn't access the drive as it kept saying that it wasn't formatted..... how ever i tried running "easy recovery pro" but when it's scanning for hard drives me PC freezes unless i unplug the hard drive.

Any way trying again this morning and windows makes that noise when you plug a usb device in but it's not showing up at all now.

it's the 1st hard drive that the jumper settings seems a little hard to understand.....have i got it set up correctly as a slave?

Thanks

hdd001.jpg

hdd002.jpg

with them settings it's back, showing under my computer, you have to actually unplug the adaptor from the pc and then fire the drive up with power before plugging in i've been leaving the usb to sata/ide driver plugged into the pc and then trying it.....how ever when i try and access it says "not formatted " do you want to format the drive.

if i do it only goes half way and then hangs......

Last edited:
are you using other IDE drives in this PC? check what that is set to. you either need both on cable select or 1 as master, 1 as slave. The first hard drive (with the bootable partition) is best being Master, with the 2nd spare as a slave. those settings look fine

OR just have this spare new drive connected to the PC, download something like 'Hiren's BOOTCD', boot to it and run some of the drive test utilities. If it's not a jumper setting, Sounds like it could be dodgy.

Last edited:
thanks, looks like i've got easy recovery wokring mate. got billions of drives in this machine, so all good for now, think it the fact that i wasn't unplugging the ide/sata connector from the usb end that goes in your pc before firing up the drive.

i'm using one like below.

plugged_small.jpg

Just have to wait 2 hours for "easy recovery" to scan, and then i'll try a format after i have got as much as the data back as i can.

might have a look at it, this hard drive must be really gooshed, looking at 18 hours for recovery

might have a look at it, this hard drive must be really gooshed, looking at 18 hours for recovery

it must be struggling to find some sectors.... i'd say it's defo not worth risking using again even after a format. get yer data back and bin it!

yeah defo, it's finding stuff, and it's up too 19hours now....thing must be hammered....bin after this as you say.

Back