guide to stream from dreambox to xmbc

halfman halflager

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
streaming your dreambox through xbmc
this will work on any enigma e1 or e2 image but unfortunately not neutrino
before you start medling maybe an idea to back up your dreambox bouquets you know the phrase back up before you fack up.
what i did first being old school i used the remote to add a new bouquet and put in the channels that i view the most ie sport films progs etc from the various bouquets and call this something you will easily find you do not have to do this but you will see later where it may come in handy.
ok make sure youre dreambox is conected to the net and talking to your network and the same for your pc also get your dreambox ip number if you do not know it check in network settings also make sure dhcp is deactivated so your box ip stays the same
OK HERE GOES
fire up xbmc go to videos and select files open section on add files and you will see a menu called add video sorce
select the browse option and a sub menu will appear scroll to the bottom and select ADD NETWORK LOCATION.
another sub menu will appear
select PROTOCOL and use the up down arrows until u get TUXBOX CLIENT
SERVER ADDRESS THIS IS YOUR DREAMBOX IP NUMBER
PORT IS DEFAULT TO 80 WHICH IS FINE UNLESS YOU HAVE CHANGED IT
USER NAME AND ROOT ARE THE SAME AS WHAT YOU LOG INTO DREAMBOX WITH DOING FTP ETC
YOU WILL THEN BE ASKED TO CONNECT AND IF SUCCESFULL YOU WILL SEE THE TUXBOX WITH BOXIP IN THE SUBMENU
YOU THEN PRESS THIS AND YOU WILL SEE A LIST OF YOUR BOUQUETS THATS WHERE THE ONE YOU CREATED EARLIER WILL COME IN HANDY AS YOU SELECT THIS AND YOU WILL SEE A LIST OF CHANNELS YOU CAN THEN EDIT THIS TO DREAMBOX OR WHAT EVER LATER IN THE VIDEO LIST IF YOU DID NOT MAKE A FILE IN BOUQUET THEN YOU CAN JUST SELECT WHAT AOR ALL YOU WANT AND LEAVE NAMED ACCORDINGLY .
RESTART XBMC GO TO VIDEOS AND YOU SHOULD SEE THE BOUQUET LISTS FROM EARLIER SELECT ONE THEN A CHANNEL THEN YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO VIEW
WORKED FOR ME SO HOPEFULLY FOR YOU THEY MAY BE AN EASIER WAY BUT THIS IS WHAT I DID AND GOT IT TO GO
SORRY FOR CAPS I HAVE A STICKY BUTTON AND CAN NOT TURN OFF AT THE MOMENT
ANY PROBS I WILL TRY AND HELP

Yeah this is simple enough played about with this a few months ago, shame theres no way of getting epg though.

according to xbmc forum and there is a plugin called the vu plus if you have the pvr version of xbmc and a vu duo or similar e2 twin tuner i think it is going to be in the next version of xbmc but looks like it might just be of use for e2 twin tuners .
we shall have to wait and see

excellent post, I'll give it a go, shame about your sticky key..lol....

(I had the dreambox working on this on the xbox 360 many moons ago, with epg as well, there'll be a post about it some where in the realms.)

Just given this a go (finally) it works pretty well I'll try it on my xmbc machine in the bedroom and see how it copes over wifi (I suspect not very lol)

Hd is a nono depending on the bitrate of the stream over my wifi but sd all works nicely so I've set this up to stream to me bedroom via xbmc until I bother putting a sat point in, Shame there's a lack of proggie info though :(

Sent from my telephone.

i use the vu duo plugin with xbmc with my dm800se works great pulls in the 7 day epg from the reciever too , i use it to stream box from livingroom to bedroom , i use a wired connection and hd channels play great

i use the vu duo plugin with xbmc with my dm800se works great pulls in the 7 day epg from the reciever too , i use it to stream box from livingroom to bedroom , i use a wired connection and hd channels play great

Which plugin is this? Got a link?

Sent from my telephone.

Hi, did you ever get a link for this plugin?

Hi mate, no I didn't annoyingly! Although I didn't find out it was called vu duo plugin but it only seems to work with certain nightly builds of xbmc so I was never able to get it to install, at least the versions I found :(

Sent from my telephone.

I comes pre installed on the OpenElec XBMC Builds
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
I put it on an old netbook I had lying around and got it connected to the TV in the bedroom, works well for SD over wifi but struggles with HD but think thats down to my router more than anything as I can stream HD to my macbook over wifi when i'm downstairs no problem

Last edited by a moderator:
I comes pre installed on the OpenElec XBMC Builds
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
I put it on an old netbook I had lying around and got it connected to the TV in the bedroom, works well for SD over wifi but struggles with HD but think thats down to my router more than anything as I can stream HD to my macbook over wifi when i'm downstairs no problem

Does it? I think I might have a look at this mate, got win 7 on my bedroom pc at the moment but this might be pretty good, can you quit out of xbmc and into a desktop enviroment? Also can you use a bootable cd to test the os like you can with Ubuntu?

Sent from my telephone.

Yer you can just install it to USB and boot from it that basically what its designed for

There is not desktop environment but you can add a browser as an app (I think??)

Yer you can just install it to USB and boot from it that basically what its designed for

There is not desktop environment but you can add a browser as an app (I think??)

nice one matey, I have a usb stick here so I'll give it a go me thinks :) is it going to boot from the usb but then format my hdd and install onto that? or will the os just do all of its thing on the usb stick and only use the hdd for storage? i dont want it formatting my drive unexpectedly lol

Sweet :) I'm thinking maybe a faster USB pen is in order then :)

Sent from my telephone.

Hi mate, no I didn't annoyingly! Although I didn't find out it was called vu duo plugin but it only seems to work with certain nightly builds of xbmc so I was never able to get it to install, at least the versions I found :(

Sent from my telephone.

Hi, I updated xbmc to the nightly build. Think is called v.12 frodo.

It has an add on there for live TV and vu/ enigma 2 boxes.

It works brilliantly! Full epg, recording etc.

Just thought I'd let you know.

I use xbmc on my iPad btw.

Hi, I updated xbmc to the nightly build. Think is called v.12 frodo.

It has an add on there for live TV and vu/ enigma 2 boxes.

It works brilliantly! Full epg, recording etc.

Just thought I'd let you know.

I use xbmc on my iPad btw.

I must get round to having a look then

Thanx mate

Sent from my telephone.

I've just put this on my raspberry pi as per original post , couldnt get the
vu/ enigma 2 plugin to work even though it was set up correct , thing is I can stream from my dm800se and watch the channel its on or anything on same transponder but in order 2 change channel on my raspberry I need to put dm800se in standby ,
so do I need a box with dual tuners to be able to watch different channels

Back