Green Mile star Duncan dies at 54

earwig999

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Actor Michael Clarke Duncan, who rose to prominence playing a death row inmate in the acclaimed film The Green Mile, has died at the age of 54.

Duncan suffered a heart attack in July and died at a hospital in Los Angeles after failing to recover.

A former bodyguard, the 6ft 4in (1.93m) Duncan was an imposing figure who played a wide variety of screen roles.

He was nominated for an Oscar in 1999 for The Green Mile, but also played action roles and voiced animated parts.

His versatility saw him team up with Bruce Willis to save the Earth in Armageddon, play it for laughs in the Will Ferrell racing car comedy Talladega Nights, and take a succession of roles in TV sitcoms, including Two and a Half Men.

He will be remembered primarily for his role alongside Tom Hanks in the adaptation of Stephen King's novel The Green Mile.

Duncan played convicted murderer John Coffey, a man possessed of a gentle demeanour and extraordinary healing powers.

His unexpected performance won him a nomination as best supporting actor and kick-started an acting career that only began once he gave up bodyguard work in his 30s.

Following his death Duncan's fiancee, Reverend Omarosa Marigault, asked for privacy until the funeral and memorial events were announced.

Oh no Michael was brilliant in the green mile he brought tears to my eyes in that film. I was shouting at the TV that he didn't do it. :(
RIP Michael Clarke Duncan you will indeed be sadly missed. :rip:

Very sad :( Just finished watching him in The Finder with the kids.

Green Mile is up there with Shawshank Redemption as an all time classic. He was excellent in that film, made it really believeable!

R.i.p.

Shame. Good actor with some great films in his repertoire.

Green Mile is up there with Shawshank Redemption as an all time classic. He was excellent in that film, made it really believeable!

R.i.p.

Couldn't agree more trabbs, 2 of my best films ever, R.I.P big guy

He was a great actor and should have got an oscar for the green mile.

To be brutal though I put the heart down to the roids so don't have much sympathy. Swarznegger (bad spelling) also has a dicky heart because of roid abuse.

R.i.p.

and i thought it was just me who thought the Shawshank Redemption was a great movie in my top 5 with the green mile lol

RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Last edited:
Aww such a shame R.I.P Michael i can only echo what others have said green mile is well up there with the classics alongside shawshank and many others.

What an age to die :( bless him

Was just going to post this shame, he was one of my favourite actors.

Massive bloke but with a gentle nature , R.I.P. Michael Clarke Duncan.

Back