Google specs again.

danforth

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Found on another forum, thanks to Aldo, if here under another name.

Google Glass Headsets an Open Invitation to Hackers

These wearable computers record everything that the user sees and hears, creating a massive invasion of privacy for pretty much anyone they look at. But it isn't just the possibility of Google spying on everyone, all the time, that raises security and privacy concerns.
According to one developer who has had access to the Glass headset, the security precautions used by the device are laughably weak, making them an easy target for hackers. Just imagine that you're sitting in a cafe wearing a Glass headset and at the table next to you a hacker manages to hack into the device via Wi-Fi. They'd be able to see everything you can see.
Now just imagine that the hacker is on the other side of the world. They'd get an inside view of your home and everything else you see.
Using standard hacker techniques known to work on Android phones, the developer, Jay Freeman, was able to get administrator access on a Glass headset. Once a hacker has administrator access, installing malicious software to track and spy on the headset is easy.
One of the vulnerabilities he used was discovered over eight months ago but still hasn't been fixed by Google.
It's just one of a number of common problems that hackers can use to take over an Android phone.
But according to Freeman, the Glass headset is even more vulnerable than Android phones and tablets, because when a phone or tablet is in 'locked' mode, it cannot be hacked, but the Glass headset is never in locked mode, so it is constantly vulnerable.
The Glass device also gives no indication when it is recording, so if your headset was hacked, you'd have no idea that someone (other than Google!) was spying on you. Freeman recommends that Google install an LED that lights up when the device is recording, but this seems like a very poor protection, since a hacker could probably turn the LED off on a hacked headset if they wanted to.
These security issues are even more worrying than the privacy problems associated with letting Google monitor you.
These privacy and security issues are so severe that I'd expect only a very few dedicated technology enthusiasts to buy the headset, mostly for novelty value.
Because without Google making significant efforts to beef up security and privacy protection, who would want to walk around wearing a pair of glasses that spied on them? Currently it looks like Google has no intention of addressing these problems, and are hoping that customers just won't care about them. So if you're thinking of getting a Glass headset at some point, take my advice and steer well clear, until these issues are resolved.

I've always been suspicious of Google, and would never consider buying the specs, but is this paranoia, or possible ?

Given the spread of knowledge here, any thoughts ?

If people (****s) start wearing those them I'll be advocating the wearing of infra-red LEDs.

If people (****s) start wearing those them I'll be advocating the wearing of infra-red LEDs.

It's the concept that concerns me, and how these things creep in. I don't know enough to judge whether it's just paranoia, but two way vision must be possible.

Would you want to walk around with (effectively) a web cam strapped to your face, entering your pin at an ATM ?

The implications are horrendous, subliminal advertising or propaganda, for a start. How could anyone be daft enough to wear these, on a daily basis, let alone buy the things ?

But, try taking a mobile phone off a teenager !

And if specs are possible, how far away would contact lenses be ? Then how would anyone know if they were being watched ?

Ok, there is a fair bit of CCTV now, but this is ridiculous.

To be honest I could not quantify how much there is to begin with.

(TT)

Do you mean CCTV ? I'd guess more than is obvious, but not inside my house, afaik.

No pictures, please !:FRIGHT:

I was not referring to the CCTV, I was referring to the google nose comment.

However if we are to discuss CCTV, to be honest they do not bother me. I have nothing to hide, invasion of privacy in my opinion, no.

I would like to think if I was walking down the street and I got mugged, hopefully one if our CCTV camera's would capture the mugger and trail him.

If it was in my house, that's a different story.

(TT)

I was not referring to the CCTV, I was referring to the google nose comment.

However if we are to discuss CCTV, to be honest they do not bother me. I have nothing to hide, invasion of privacy in my opinion, no.

I would like to think if I was walking down the street and I got mugged, hopefully one if our CCTV camera's would capture the mugger and trail him.

If it was in my house, that's a different story.

(TT)

Sorry, wrong association.

Agree completely about external CCTV, providing it's used for the purpose intended.

The specs though (guessing here, don't know) would have optical lenses to correct vision where needed, and for the display to work as well.

So, they could worn inside and out. In any case, external use has enough concerns, at least to me.

Back