Good quality outdoor wood paint question

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Im soon due to paint the facia's and bardgeboards on the house, there all wood.
Woods in good nick but there all abit tried and flakey like me. I'll have to sand the crap off so the new paint will be going over old sanded paint.
Can anyone recommend a good quality outdoor black paint say 10 year job ?.
Something that goes on OK but not like water or treacle as the house is white render under it.
I don't mind paying for decent stuff.

About 15 years ago I put a canopy up on my house at the front. I painted the wood supports with Crown wood and metal acrylic gloss and I have only painted them once and they still look fine now. I didn’t use a primer either.

I painted an old wooden conservatory with Sandtex 10 year Exterior Gloss last year. Quite expensive, but really nice to work with, goes on easily and neither runny nor too thick.

Ummmm got me thinking there a gloss. A good friend of mine who's sadly passed away did them last about 9-10 years ago and their more of matt, I reckon a gloss would give a better look.
To be honest I'm hiring a tower as I'm not the best on ladders got a bit of a dodgey leg and the 4 sides 7m at the side. I'm praying the wood is intact and OK behind the gutters.
Out of interest I just had a quote to replace the lot along with gutters £3400 which I thought was very dear.
One more question. Lots round here have gone white plastic or were originally had painted white wood to start with which looks cleaner.
Whats the chances of going over black with or am I asking too much?, or should I just stick with black for easy sake

Black paint won’t last as long as white as dark colours draw heat from the sun, so they continuously heat up and cool down and blisters and peel quicker than lights colours that will reflect heat.

Painting a light colour over black is a a bugger imho. You'd probably need three coats including an undercoat at the very least. I painted a dark fire place white recently. It took two coats if Zinsser and three of gloss to get it looking decent.

EDIT: Sorry I assumed the original colour was black. Re-reading your original post, it's not clear whether it is now.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m a bit confused as I thought you were wanting to paint black over white🤔

if they are white I would stick with white.

There currently black i was contemplating going over the black with white but if it means 2-3 coats I'll stick with black.
I'm praying the woods fine because right now £3400 for plastic is not an option.

Just on the subject on facias bardgeboards.

I recently bought dry verge after years of without. A friend of a friend (bit of a gobshite) fitted them (too high for me off a ladder) and made a total hash.

My roof tiles hang a fair bit over the bardgeboards at both gable ends. Once the dry verge are tucked under the roof tile they are too far away from the bardgeboard to fit flash so this idiot used 120mm screws to screw to the bardgeboard. This has made them kind of curl in but there's still a huge gap between the bardgeboard and the bottom of the dry verge.

Would I need to add long lengths off say roughly 2" × 1" and attach to the top end of bardgeboard to pack it,
Or
Is there a special dry verge or something the compensates for roof tiles that stick out on gable ends ?.

Last edited:
If it's black over black I wouldn't worry too much about the light absorption thing. Modern good quality outdoor gloss (avoid Dulux ffs!) should be good for a long time.

And another thing, brushes, no matter what I always buy sh*t brushes I never get it right. Whats a good brush, long'sh, spreads paint well and is good for cutting in to brickwork ?.
I don't mind paying as I tend to look after my gear

Back