Global PS3 sales top 33.5m units

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
Worldwide sales of Sony's PlayStation 3 passed 33.5 million units in the last quarter of 2009 as the console closes in on main rival the Xbox 360.

Recent figures revealed that Microsoft's next-generation console has sold 39m units around the world, but Sony executives have long predicted that the PS3 will soon draw level.

Sony shifted 6.5m PS3s during the three months ending December 31, which represented a significant growth on the 4.5m units it sold in the same period in 2008.

The firm also enjoyed an increase in PS3 software sales, with 47.6m units sold over the three months compared to 40.8m the preceding year.

However, the rest of the PlayStation portfolio fared less admirably, with the PSP handheld selling 4.2m units during the quarter, nearly 1m less than in same period in 2008.

Despite being the biggest-selling console of all time, the PS2 shifted 2.1m over the three months, down from 2.5m the previous year.

Gaming - News - Global PS3 sales top 33.5m units - Digital Spy

Where do these mystical figures come from? It does not name a source organisation, like NPD, in the original article.

I no console fanboy, but hate it when journalists throw figures about with no reliable source data.

OP watch for the "f" word, dont you know you cant talk about ps3 on here without being insulted with the "f" word? lol.

Bang right.

As for the NPD comment from the other guy, NPD is America only and obviously their numbers are only representative of North America. That's one thing I hate is when people hark on about sales but they only mention NPD as if America is the only country on this planet lol. Besides the article is fairly clear, we don't need DNA on this one, Sony have sold over 33.5 million consoles worldwide over the last quarter of 2009 and the 360 sold 39 million worldwide in the same time frame, it's that simple.

Last edited:
Bang right.

As for the NPD comment from the other guy, NPD is America only and obviously their numbers are only representative of North America. That's one thing I hate is when people hark on about sales but they only mention NPD as if America is the only country on this planet lol. Besides the article is fairly clear, we don't need DNA on this one, Sony have sold over 33.5 million consoles worldwide over the last quarter of 2009 and the 360 sold 39 million worldwide in the same time frame, it's that simple.

Reading a post often helps! Did not I say, "like NPD"?

The premise of my statement was to infer that these figures cannot be trusted as no source was listed, other than the journalist.

Reading a post often helps! Did not I say, "like NPD"?

The premise of my statement was to infer that these figures cannot be trusted as no source was listed, other than the journalist.

Yup just like I mentioned in passing how NPD is for the Americans, honestly though mate stop splitting hairs, who really gives a feck about the source in this case ? It's just an article saying what the PS3 and 360 sold worldwide in the last quarter of 2009, it's not medical clearance.

Last edited:
I dont quite see why thommo and raven are seemingly so offended with daves comments?

Seriously, was there any need to post this ? Nobody is offended and I was just pointing out what I said in my original post but dave then decided to own himself pretty much in contesting it. And not so much speaking for thommo but he was referring to the original poster in this thread and not dave.

I dont quite see why thommo and raven are seemingly so offended with daves comments?

eh your making your own posts here m8, didnt quote anyone and wasnt offended by anyones post, it was tongue and cheek and a reply to the OP, wasnt even at dave, you need to stop stirring the pot, your post was nothing more nothing less.

the " lol " sometimes gives that away to members who read before hitting post.

Last edited:
Religion, Ford vs Vauxhall, VHS vs Betamax, Sinclair vs Commodore, LCD vs Plasma, Playstation vs Xbox360, will it ever end?

Nope, lol.

did you even need to ask lol.

betamax rules!!!! ;)

I was the only one in my entire school to own a Philips V2000 VCR.

Feel my pain!

Actually, technically it was far ahead of both VHS and Beta, but it had poor support in video shops.

:(

And yes, Betamax was a superior technology to VHS, but VHS got in their 1st and that's all that mattered.

Back