Getting to grips with Windows 7

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Getting to grips with Windows 7

Microsoft didn't endear itself to computer users with Vista, but can Windows 7 – now available in beta – replace XP in people's affections?

Early adopters are eagerly downloading the first beta release of Microsoft's next operating system, Windows 7. Microsoft no doubt hopes it will repair the reputation of Windows, tarnished by too many bad user experiences with Vista, and by the steady growth of Apple's market share. The buzz is mostly positive, though there are dissenters.

Paul Thurrott, a Windows expert, likes it overall, but says that the "comingling of different functions" in the taskbar "is a whopper of a mistake, and one that will actively harm most Windows users", adding that the new libraries feature "will confuse users for years to come". These are described below - see what you think.

That said, most agree that Windows 7 is smoother, better-looking, and less annoying than its predecessor. It has similar internals, which means that most software that worked in Vista should continue to work after the upgrade.

Raising the (task)bar

Windows 7 makes significant changes to the desktop and taskbar, the strip of icons that by default runs across the bottom of the screen. The taskbar was introduced in Windows 95, and has worked in broadly the same way since.

Windows 7 changes the rules. The taskbar is bigger by default, and its icons can be shortcuts for launching applications as well as showing what is running. In this respect it is like the Dock in Apple's OS X, though the Windows effort is chunkier and not as pretty. Only frequently used applications that you choose to "pin" appear there, and a subtle difference in shading shows what is actually running. Clicking an icon has varying results depending on the context: it could activate a window or launch an application, or summon a preview or pop up a customised "jump list" menu.

Sneaking a peek

It sounds confusing, but in practice feels mostly intuitive. If you hover the mouse over a preview, other applications go temporarily transparent - which can be disconcerting, particularly if you do not actually click and the window fades back into the background.

There are more tricks to come. Sometimes you can do all your work from the preview or jump list, for simple actions such as playing or pausing a song in a media player. A new "peek" feature is triggered by hovering over the Show Desktop icon, and uses temporary transparency to show your desktop icons and gadgets.

Libraries lets you merge several locations into a single view: each library has a "Save location", which determines where stuff goes if you save it there. The feature is powerful but can be confusing, such as when two different documents of the same name exist in separate folders. In some views they cannot be distinguished.

Homegroups form a simplified approach to home sharing. They are aimed at homes with a wireless network, several PCs and perhaps a game console and network storage device.

The first PC defines a new homegroup with a password; others on the network can then join the group. There are options to share media, using the standards of the DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance - dlna.org) - although Apple, unfortunately, is not a member. Support for online identity providers will enable per-user permissions even in a home network, though this is not working in the beta. The Device Stage appears when users connect a device such as a camera, mobile phone, printer or MP3 player. I connected a Sansa Clip, one of the few devices supported in the beta, and was able to follow a link to update its firmware. Other features are aimed at businesses, including encryption for USB storage devices and direct access to server applications online. Built-in support for a variety of sensors will enable location-aware software.

You can touch this

Another theme in Windows 7 is touch control, and some of the user interface enhancements have this in mind. The Windows 7 beta is high quality, and although Microsoft will not commit to a date, there are indications that the company is aiming to complete the software in the summer, with general availability by autumn this year.

Microsoft's reluctance to reveal a release date may partly be for fear of stalling sales of Vista. Windows users who can afford to wait will probably want to do so. That said, behind the revamped desktop Windows 7 is not radically different from Vista, and Vista today is more mature and reliable than it was on first release.

There are several implications. Hardware requirements will be similar - a machine bought now with Vista should be fine for running Windows 7 later, and application and driver compatibility should be good. On the other hand, users who have stuck with XP will be faced with the same compatibility issues in Windows 7 as they would get with Vista. That is not surprising, as XP is now more than seven years old - an eternity in computing. Windows 7 may be the release that persuades XP diehards to upgrade.

Test driving Windows 7

Microsoft has made Beta 1 of Windows 7 publicly available. Anyone can download and install it, and a previously announced limit of 2.5m has been lifted at least until 24 January.

Several health warnings apply. Beta software is unsupported, and this one will expire on 1 August, by which time either an updated pre-release or the final version will be available.

It is not normally possible to upgrade from a beta, so you should expect to zap the install completely when you are done with it. The beta is intended for testing on a spare machine, not for real work.

The Windows 7 download comes as a file with a .iso extension, which is a software image of a DVD. This can be copied to a real DVD using any DVD writer, or mounted as a virtual DVD using a software utility.

There are several strategies you can use to install it. An actual spare PC or laptop is ideal, if it is not too old; the rule of thumb is that it should be able to run Vista. Technical enthusiasts can also use a spare hard drive or partition in their main PC, and choose which Windows to run when starting up.

Another popular approach is to use a virtual PC. These systems let you emulate a PC in software. Microsoft's Virtual PC is a free download, as is the excellent and open source VirtualBox.

You can even attach the downloaded .iso file directly, with no need to burn a DVD. They are isolated from the rest of your system, and removing the beta later is as easy as deleting a file. The main drawback is that you need a more powerful base PC, and the performance will not be as good as with real hardware, particularly for graphics.

Tim Anderson
Wednesday 14 January 2009 17.40 GMT
guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2009

So in another words, not as good as XP but better than Vista... yeah..

Might just go down the virtual pc route to see what it's like first.Vista is just a pain in the A***E.
I've already downgraded two pcs back to xp because of it.

So in another words, not as good as XP but better than Vista... yeah..

Not sure why people think XP is the greatest OS MS ever made? Vista was better than XP. I have been using 7 and I have to say it blows XP out of the water.

i still think my next upgrade will be to a mac

I am also of the same opinion. However, my choice to do this depended on being able to run Windows on Apple hardware (I need it for a lot of things).

Might just go down the virtual pc route to see what it's like first.Vista is just a pain in the A***E.
I've already downgraded two pcs back to xp because of it.

Some people just didnt like Vista. If you didnt like it down to the way it looks/feels then you are going to hate 7. If you didnt like it due to lack of driver support then you will hate 7 - it uses the same driver source.

As an aside, I have got some screen shots of other OS's, starting with the KDE desktop:
kde_desktop.png

And the rather old RISC OS 5 Dekstop:
desk.jpg

As you can see, they are both quite similar to the Windows 7 desktop. MS finally catching up?

Not sure why people think XP is the greatest OS MS ever made? Vista was better than XP. I have been using 7 and I have to say it blows XP out of the water.

2 Serious issues that made me downgrade back to XP.

1) No video overlay TV Out support (Means I have a useless HDTV thanks to vista)
2) Can't handle wireless bridge networks correctly

I assume Windows 7 still has those problems considering its based off vista, I'll prob check it out when it hits RTM.

2 Serious issues that made me downgrade back to XP.

1) No video overlay TV Out support (Means I have a useless HDTV thanks to vista)
2) Can't handle wireless bridge networks correctly

I assume Windows 7 still has those problems considering its based off vista, I'll prob check it out when it hits RTM.
Ignoring the TV issue, wireless bridges work fine under XP and Vista. What was the problem you had with them under Vista?

Hi

an interesting article all-be-it just a journalists view and experience of his and his wife's mac convention, not all plain sailing.....

The case against switching to a Mac - at ZDNet.co.uk
That is an interesting argument against the religion that is Apple. My only reasoning behind moving to Apple is purely security. I have had a lot of problems with securing my personal data on my Windows machines throughout 2007, so I began to look at other platforms as a replacement. Linux would be a good idea, but this would mean I would need to source my own hardware - which isnt a major problem, but it means I dont have the security of a nice warranty period to cover everything.

If there is one thing that Apple appears to do well, its make hardware and support it. Add to that, OS X is partly based on BSD ( a very well known and secure OS), so my security worries are abated. Plus, I can install Windows on it to use anything that might be MS only.

I also promise not to become a raging Apple zealot.

i started using windows 7 a couple of days ago and agree that it is very nice. it just works and is faster than xp at some things, however i was using 32bit xp but i'm using 64bit windows 7.
i personally tried vista 4 or 5 times from beta onwards and absolutely loathed it. it was such a slow, useless and nagging piece of crap that i quickly upgraded to xp each time.
so id recommend giving it a go
just my opinon

personally i love it, best OS since win 2000sp4, works perfectly with all my hardware, only driver i needed was the m/boards SATA.

only software i cannot get to work - paint shop pro 8(i know its old but i love it, but replaced with GIMP) and Daemon Tools, will not install its virtual SCSI drivers.

using 64bit version to make best use of my 4gb ram, stable as a rock.

@daveleebond wished i'd have new about Gimp before, i'd run with Win7 64bit for a few days and like you couldnt get paintship and Deamon to run so i went back to xp64 but that aside Win7 does run and look brilliant.
ps COD world at war would not install either just hung

@daveleebond wished i'd have new about Gimp before, i'd run with Win7 64bit for a few days and like you couldnt get paintship and Deamon to run so i went back to xp64 but that aside Win7 does run and look brilliant.
ps COD world at war would not install either just hung

Gimp is rather good for a free prog, all adobe products seem OK, Photoshop 64bit runs and renders like a dream, as for games don't really use PC for that since have chipped Wii and modded 360, but X3 works fine, will try some others later.

PoweISO works fine on x64 for mounting until the Daemon tools boys pull their finger out.

Last edited:
Back