garden decking

Taff

Inactive User
Reaction score
been working in the garden, going to convert a small part of the garden 20 ft by 12 ft into a decked area, can work well with wood but are there any hints and tips and pit fall avoidance techniques any of you might have observed ??

Regards

Taff

decking

cant help with the technical stuff but if its a biggish area the try 2 levels to break it up abit.
this is my neighbours garden

Are you building is stand alone or against the house?

its all in the base.....for your holes DONT dig hire a petrol Auger from HSS or similar. This will create holes 10" wide and about 1 metre deep.

use 4"x4" posts to sink into the augered out holes, and use post crete from B&Q sets hard FAST.

I built my decking last year, I aint posting a pic here.....I will send you one:)

It will be stand alone but againts side garden wall.

I will be putting in three flat block runs which the main beams will run across, this will give the decking solid foundation plus keep the beams off the floor, also will allow me to level the gradient of the garden.

Taff

joists no less that 16 inches apart atherwise you get a bouncy deck.

Dont bother diging holes - If the council are lifting up paving slabs locally, ask the man if u can buy some of the old ones - they are stone/pebble concrete mixes and they dont break no matter what yo do. I got 20 last year for 20p each from the man.
But them on the grass soil whatever, then make legs from your deck joists to the slabs. Make sure you put some damp course between the wood and the slab so water dosent get drawn up through the slab and into the wood.

Put the black ground cover down under the deck, to stop weeds growing.

If your going to make you deck a specific length/width, buy wood that length. Theres nothing worse than a frankenstein deck with bits all the wrong length trying to match up.

Dont make the gaps too big - mine was an M10 bolt apart (it was the only thing I could find that I had loads of that we could use to guarantee an even gap over 6 meters - so we put one every 50cm and butted each deckboard against them) use something smaller - you will be amazed at the anount of crap we lose down it ;)

Dont go to B&Q - find an out of the way timber merchants that deliver. They are so much cheaper.

AND

Wear sunscreen if your making it soon - no need to be burned and peeling while your working.

Here's one i sorted out last month for the kids paddling pool

D

OH.

If your going to put blocks down - you need a leg every 2 joists (so 32 inches apart) and then 32 inces back from the front. magic squares with a leg at each corner.

AND

Bolt it to your wall - you can get a good 6 inch bolt in a special rawplug from wickses - only cheap - but they stop the deck moving away from the house.

D

joists no less that 16 inches apart atherwise you get a bouncy deck.

Dont bother diging holes - If the council are lifting up paving slabs locally, ask the man if u can buy some of the old ones - they are stone/pebble concrete mixes and they dont break no matter what yo do. I got 20 last year for 20p each from the man.
But them on the grass soil whatever, then make legs from your deck joists to the slabs. Make sure you put some damp course between the wood and the slab so water dosent get drawn up through the slab and into the wood.

Put the black ground cover down under the deck, to stop weeds growing.

If your going to make you deck a specific length/width, buy wood that length. Theres nothing worse than a frankenstein deck with bits all the wrong length trying to match up.

Dont make the gaps too big - mine was an M10 bolt apart (it was the only thing I could find that I had loads of that we could use to guarantee an even gap over 6 meters - so we put one every 50cm and butted each deckboard against them) use something smaller - you will be amazed at the anount of crap we lose down it ;)

Dont go to B&Q - find an out of the way timber merchants that deliver. They are so much cheaper.

AND

Wear sunscreen if your making it soon - no need to be burned and peeling while your working.

Here's one i sorted out last month for the kids paddling pool

D

Youve done an excellent job of the swimming pool mate, but i think you need to sort the Fence out next.
Only joking m8. Good job done must have been hard getting the circle right.

Thats the next job....

Circle was a bastard, but i only wasted about 50cm of wood. I measured and pre cut all of the pieces square first, screwed in place and then cut out the circle.

D

Back