Win 10 FTP

FTP server or client?

Client wise i would recommend filezilla.

server wise I dont know any for windows only for Linux but would recommend you use SFTP which doesnt send thing over plain text so is more secure.

If the data drive is yours and he needs to access it then he should be using a client.

Do you have a FTP/SFTP server hosting your content he wants to access.?

what about Cerberus ftp Server Enterprise
or
Wing FTP Server corporate

Why not just mount a Gdrive on your machine and give your dad share permission. Your dad can then access the data when your machine is offline as it will be in g-drive.

This method also means you don't have to port forward anything to home, dont have to worry about giving your dad the IP address every time he wants to access it and most importantly not have a incredibility vulnerable protocol accessible from the the public internet.

If you want a easy way to share it you can share the drive on your machine and allow your dad access to it. Then port forward SMB port on your machine and your dad will be able to access it like it was a drive in his local network. This is something i would not recommened either as SMB is another incredibility vulnerable protocol.

As Onedrive is built into Windows 10 I use this to share TV shows with my mother-in-law who live 30 miles away. I have a folder that is shared between us.

I also use Dropbox for customers with several shared folders for comic distributions.

But if you really want to use an FTP you can use filezilla server and filezilla client, I used this for many years on here for sharing the Nintendo DS games.

The only drawbacks when using FTP is that your upload bandwidth limits the speed at which the client can download and your machine needs to be on for the sharing to work, plus the relevant open ports through your firewall (slight security risk).

If you want FREE and open source you could try Nextcloud, this is like a dropbox you own and control with no limits on space or file sizes.

I use this on my own webspace online it's actually quite good and because you are in control it's not speed limited like Onedive, dropbox or google drive etc...

when you say access do you mean download the files, as FTP is used to download/upload files, you cant access the contents like you would on a folder on a drive and open it up

I

when you say access do you mean download the files, as FTP is used to download/upload files, you cant access the contents like you would on a folder on a drive and open it up

you can mount FTP/SFTP servers as drives on your machine and access like them you would a folder.

Have a look at raidrive. Let's you mount Google drive and Dropbox as a local drive

you can mount FTP/SFTP servers as drives on your machine and access like them you would a folder.

never knew you could do that, does that use the underlying webdav client on the PC as I know you can mount remote shares using HTTP using web dav

I should of probably said that i have only ever done it on MAC and Linux. I don't use windows.

using sshfs for sftp on MAC and Linux never done it on a windows machine but if you can do it on mac and linux i would be surprised if you couldnt on windows.

there was an app i use before call transmit and you could use it to mount pretty much anything including FTPs. Great app had really fast speeds compared to others. Don't use it anymore as i only use my work machine and dont want to stick anything dodgy on it. I use SCP, Rsync these days all via command line.

Back