hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Fred Trueman dies

Fast bowler loses battle with lung cancer

fred.gif

England's greatest-ever fast bowler Fred Trueman has died from lung
cancer, aged 75.

Trueman made his Yorkshire debut in May 1949, and first played for England in June 1952, taking seven wickets in a match against India, including a second-innings haul of 4-27. He retired from first-class cricket in 1969, having taken more than 2,000 wickets.

He was the first bowler to claim 300 Test wickets, marking the milestone by having Australia's Neil Hawke caught at slip by Colin Cowdrey at the Oval. His final Test figures were 307 wickets in only 67 matches - an aggregate which stood as cricket's best until 1976 when it was surpassed by West Indies' Lance Gibbs.

He remains the third highest England Test wicket-taker of all time, behind Ian Botham (383) and Bob Willis (325).

Brian Close, Yorkshire captain throughout the county's success in the 1960s, led the tributes today.

"I captained many great cricketers, but none finer," Close said. "Yorkshire has lost a great cricketer and a great character. He was a great wit - a lovely fellow, and we all enjoyed his company and playing with him."

Close maintains there is no-one as good as Trueman in the modern game.
"He was better than they are now - he got through so much more work - 1100 overs in a season," said the former England captain. "He was a great out-swing bowler - a fast bowler who also made it go away off the pitch."

Yorkshire chief executive Stewart Regan said: "Yorkshire County Cricket Club sends its condolences to Fred's wife Veronica, family and friends. We are all deeply upset at this news."

Carrie Dunn
Saturday July 1, 2006
Guardian Unlimited
© Guardian Newspapers Limited 2006

I'll sithee

Bronto said:
I'll sithee

i'll second that & " soo Blaise in to the bargain that i hit him in the mouth & he had to be carried off "

to be honest i didnt know the lad atall , but listening to hawksbee & jacobs on talksport made me aware of his greatness

r i p fred

I only really lnew and liked him for his TV sports prog. R.I.P big man...there's not too many left like you.

Back