Foxconn a7da-s

iliveinuk

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys
I cant seem to setup my friends Foxconn a7da-s motherboard for his AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz Socket
Does anyone know what settings I need to change in the bios? I have tried using the fox one tool, installed it, but the calibration part for the cpu is greyed out so it knows its an AMD, but not sure what, his system is running really really slow for what he has, it even has 8gb of ram
If anyone knows what settings I need to change in the bios I would be grateful

Is the level of BIOS you have on motherboard compatible with that CPU. I am pretty sure the motherboard should autodetect the correct settings.

If the BIOS is out of date and does not recognise the CPU then it may be picking the slowest settings to ensure it boots.

ok, will check the latest bios, thanks guys, yeah hes using a 64 bit OS, the 8 gb is being detected, but like I said, its just running really slow

Will check the bios version on it in a sec

Hi guys,

Have updated the bios, it was a couple of versions behind, the system now shows the correct cpu etc etc, ran the foxconn auto clocking program and it tells you what you can run at without any harm, but its as slow as hell, even installing any OS takes an age, it has 4 sticks of 2gb ram as well, im thinking of stripping the ram out, just using one stick and installing a 32 bit OS just to see whats happening, any other ideas on why this is so slow, its a quad core cpu, 3.2ghz so it shouldnt be slow, the owner cant understand it, im just trying to help him out here, thought the bios would sort it, and when it could see the correct cpu i thought we had cracked it, ran cpuz as well, which checks what ram, cpu you have and thats all reporting back fine, so why its running slower than a 1990 amstrad with 4 mb of mem is beyond me

Cheers for any advice

Is it slow during the install process as well ?

If so then sounds like hardware clash, if not then most likely driver or something.

Make sure you have connected the 8 pin power connector in the top right corner of the motherboard, and that the clip has closed over the lip:
member-little_pob-albums-thread+images-picture360-cpu-power-connector.jpg

Failing that, as oneman suggests strip out any expansion cards until the OS is on, then add them one at a time installing the drivers and software as you go. Make sure any graphics card you go on to install goes in the 'primary' PCIe2.0 x16 slot (i.e. the one nearest the CPU), that it is pushed down firmly and has any extra power connectors plugged in.

Which OS are you actually installing, as I know win7 and Vista take a while to install. If you do want to compare a 32bit OS install, try XP - I've had that install empty disk to desktop in 19 minutes on an AMD Athlon X2 4850e with 3Gb RAM.

I would think about testing the RAM with Memtest86+ if you haven't already. Try the 64bit OS with 1x2, 2x2 and 3x2Gb RAM configurations. Also, if you can, try 4x1Gb - some motherboards just don't like being fully populated.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

Yeah its very very slow during an install of an OS, worse than anything I have seen, the only thing that can be removed is the memory, I will do a mem check using the above software, and take out all four sticks and try one of my own, then add them one at a time if its better till we find what it is that its not liking

Again, thanks for the help :)

Another item that could be cause a big slow down is if the M/B thinks the CPU is overheating and slowing it down ?

Are the CPU temps in the BIOS showing high values ?

Hi, thanks for all the replies, have checked all 4 sticks of mem, all are ok, temp is fine for the cpu, running around 40 - 41 degrees c, am only running 2 sticks of memory now, still running slow, have checked about this motherboard and found something interesting that someone had a similar problem and emailed foxconn who sent him a different bios rom thats not available on their website and it did the trick, he says he can only think they want people to switch to their am3 boards and not their am2+ ones, I have emailed this guy for the rom, but as yet no reply, so im going to write to foxconn and see if they can send me this rom file

If anyone knows a place where this bios rom can be found can you let me know, I have googled it but only get a couple of hits, and the one link is dead

The rom file he said he got was 81bf1d27

Thanks in advance as always

Back