Family of 'helium death' teen warn of inhalation danger

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
The family of a schoolgirl who died from inhaling helium have warned other parents of the dangers of the gas.

Jordan McDowell, 13, from Newtownabbey was found dead by her mother after inhaling helium from a balloon bought for her birthday last Sunday.

Jordan's parents, Karen and Gareth McDowell, said they wanted to prevent other families from going through a similar experience.

"We didn't realise the dangers in it, " Mr McDowell said.

"We just don't want anyone else to go through this, it's been like a living nightmare."

Jordan's grandfather Ronnie Hamilton said he would be happy if he could get helium banned or restricted.

"I don't want anyone to go through what we've been through and it's about time legislation was brought in," Mr Hamilton said.

"What I would say to parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles is give your children a hug and tell them how much you love them.

"Do not buy them helium, it is death, you are buying something so dangerous.

"We didn't know the dangers - we do know now and it's devastating."

Jordan's mother Karen McDowell said she still can't believe her daughter is gone.

"I keep saying to people it's like she's gone on holiday, but she'll be coming back soon, but she won't; she'll never be back."

Mr Hamilton said the family hoped that lives could be saved by raising awareness of the dangers.

"Helium is marketed as an inert gas, which makes it sound like a 'safe' substance, it's not and we don't want people to inhale it.

"Jordan was such a fun and loving girl, who always had a smile for you, and now she's gone and it just isn't worth it."

Mr and Mrs McDowell said the family are determined to stay strong.

"We have to keep it together for our other two, and we've had lots of support," Mr McDowell said.

"Jordan brought us joy for 13 short years and we will treasure those."

Public Health Agency statement

Helium is a colourless, odourless inert gas which has many unique properties such as low boiling point, low density and high thermic conductivity.

Members of the public will be more familiar with the usually harmless and not uncommon party trick, of inhaling helium from a balloon to a high-pitched squeaky voice.

It must be recognised that such activity can, on rare occasions, lead to adverse health effects and some deaths have been reported.

Breathing in helium displaces oxygen from the lungs which in turn, deprives vital organs of essential oxygen.

This is most acutely seen in the brain which can only manage 5-6 seconds before the person becomes unconscious.

Apart from a high-pitched voice, potential health effects of helium are dizziness, headache and suffocation.

Should anyone experience ill effects from inhaling helium, the advice is to get the person to breathe in fresh air immediately.

If symptoms persist oxygen may need to be administered, so get medical help urgently.

It is also particularly important that young children are not left unsupervised with any balloons and in particular, helium balloons as children have been known to inhale parts of the balloon, which can then block the airways with potentially life threatening consequences.

BBC News - Family of 'helium death' teen warn of inhalation danger

I thought everyone knew to only take short gulps of helium and wait until your voice returns then do it again for added laughter :)

It's unfortunate that there young Daughter died. I send My condolences to them.

But I've got to say is .... Thousands of people die from water related incidence's but is the use of that regulated ?
At the end of the day its not regulation that's needed it's education. If Your educated of the dangers the lest likely you will get hurt. ( Well only if You have common sense that is :proud: )

I'm sorry if this post's a bit erratic. Kids have come from know where.

"Put that down Damieeeeeeen !"

i didn't realise that helium would kill you, guess i never thought about it before, i just thought the squeaky voice stuff was funny. not that i have ever tried it myself

sad really, poor kid :(

Last edited:
exhaling first and taking a gulp of helium gives you a squeeky voice, for this kid to have died they must have got to the stage where their lips turn blue.

A terrible thing to happen but as said above education (of the parents as much as the kids) is needed not knee jerk calls for a ban.

Crazy! I can never resist inhaling it whereever i see a ballon!

cant believe she died!

Like a lot of things, if you abuse it then it can be dangerous !

Helium ballons are designed to float, not for you to inhale the gas. Anything that displaces Oxygen from your lungs is inherantly dangerous whether its inert or not !!!

i once knocked myself out in the town center doing this when i was a kid lol , gulp gulp gulp......keeled over smashing me head on the a step as i went down.......

i tend to stay of off the helium now-a-days...

sad loss of life.

Unbelievable that parents would allow there child to inhale helium would they let them sniff lighter gas or some other inert or active gas.

Very sad for the poor kid, not had any life really at only 13.

Lets hope this as said earlier, Educates other parents to be more responsible for there children when trying party tricks, there is always a risk something could go wrong.

Rest in peace dear child.

Never realised this,i have done on many ocassions without realising any risk involved

Back