DVB - PC Cards DVB-C + Fast PC For HDTV Playback

Shauneh

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey,

I have a good PC, brand new AM2 Socket x2 5200+ (i think not on it atm) with 3GB OCZ Ram 800mhz. It has GeForce 8800GT so as u can tell not short of power, plus i use it on a HDTV so i can watch my HD Films. I was wondering whats a good setup for DVB-C with a PC like this and has a good channel change speed. Atm I have access to both Media Center 2005 and Vista Ultimate, I want to use either cause they are good and not much point having a HTPC that doesnt have media center. Noone has realy confirmed what Hardware is good for MC and what is better use SaftCAM/CAM/Smart Card. I want the channel chaning speed to be minimal and to have working EPG hopefully...

I have herd of the budget 1500's, not much strain i hope for my PC but this will up the channel changing speed. Also is a SoftCAM better at decoding more channels or is getting a good cam going to get me more channels.

I ask this because i dont want to fork out hundreds on hardware that is incompatible and know that most people dont post what works for them i thought id post this.

So if anyone could fill me in that would be great :banana:

Thanks

--
Shaun

I would recommend taking a look at MediaPortal running on XP as an alternative. Does everything MCE does and some more. I'm using it now with a TT1500 and soft cam. Channel changes are within 2 seconds, usually more like 1. I believe a proper cam will speed that up a bit. The EPG is very flexible, you can match up what you need to each channel. MCE was just too limiting for me.

Cool, what CAM could I Use and will it get me same amount of channels as SoftCAM or more or less.

I dont know much about the Harware for CAMS as im use to the Eurobox, Starviews and DBOXs

Last edited:
You'll get the same amount of channels either way. If I was you I'd get a card with CI module and have a play with softcams first, you might decide you don't need a proper one. I bought one, a Blue Zeta, at the same time as my card but I haven't used it yet as it needs flashing and I don't have the equipment to do it at the moment.

Im going to get 2 ya see because of the HD Functions and the limitedness of the Boxes out at the moment and HD.

I know theres only BBC but they are releasing more channels soon so it should be fine. I will post back when i get my card. Any sites you reccomend for 2-3 day delivery?

I got my 1500 fro Sat Store, next day delivery.

I believe you can only use one card in MediaPortal with a softcam, you'll need a proper cam if you're going to run 2 with it. If of course you choose to run MediaPortal.

No i mean in 2 seperate PC's sorry, anything better than a budget ive seen a 2100 everyone has said there one of the best. Was thinking of that or FloppyDTV for a way to have at least access to a CI

No i mean in 2 seperate PC's sorry, anything better than a budget ive seen a 2100 everyone has said there one of the best. Was thinking of that or FloppyDTV for a way to have at least access to a CI

You can get an add-on card that gives you access to a CI with the TechnoTrend cards, but do they still sell the FloppyDTV? Every time I've looked at the websites that sell them, they haven't had them in stock.

Mytheatre Yanksee / ferrin help

I've managed to get my TT c1500 set up and found chanels by scanning in Mytheatre.

I now have 2 issues-

1. I can't view any chanels, not sure which are FTA but I can't see any?

2. I have loaded Yanksee and Ferrrin into the plugins folder but tehy done appear to be working as I still canlt see any channels

I think I may need to update keys and softc@ms but I'm not sure what info I need to include. I assume the specific info I need will depend on the cable area I'm in (Leeds)

Itried a number of different Yanksee and Ferrir folders and can't get this set up to work so I need help!

C

I've managed to get my TT c1500 set up and found chanels by scanning in Mytheatre.

I now have 2 issues-

1. I can't view any chanels, not sure which are FTA but I can't see any?

try bbc1,2 itv, c4 & c5 if u can't see these then u wan't to check ur set up b4 moving on to fenrir & yankse and the ppv channels

Tried them and can view them, the only channel that i can view is Living!

Not sure what settings I need to check? I know the PCI card is working and Mytheartre scanned Ok and found channels, I'm just not getting a picture.

I have checked and Yanksee is picking up info anf ferrin appears to AU'ing???

Typo above I meant

Tried them and can't view them, the only channel I can view is Living!

Sorted it, well nearly, scans, yanksee & ferrin were all set up correctly. It was the codec that were (and still are not) set up correctly in Mytheartre.

Have channels picture needs to be improved.....off you check out Mytheatre threads.....

The card was a TT C-1500

Sorted it, well nearly, scans, yanksee & ferrin were all set up correctly. It was the codec that were (and still are not) set up correctly in Mytheartre.

Have channels picture needs to be improved.....off you check out Mytheatre threads.....

The card was a TT C-1500

thats good news i actually half wrote a reply yesterday suggesting u look at the codecs but when u said u had living tv it threw me. probably best is the 'nvidia pure video decoder' u can d/l a free trial version for 30 days but there are mpeg2 codecs available on the net

cheers

Media Portal Compatible cards

Hi I have a TT Premium C-2300 is there any way to use this in Media portal I cann't find any BDa Drivers for this device though :(

Hi I have a TT Premium C-2300 is there any way to use this in Media portal I cann't find any BDa Drivers for this device though :(

i've got the same card and at the moment there is no bda drivers, therefore mce or mediaportal doesn't see the card.....seems a bit silly as these are the premium cards and yet the budgets do? i'm using ritzdvb with it on my pc.

i've bought a floppydtv for my htpc using mce 2005 and thinkin of selling the TT and getting another one of these as it's pretty impressive.

cheers

Back