DSLR Cameras

magicalbeef

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
im after a starter dslr camera, I have no clue about them so Id like some info and reccomendations if poss
cheers guys

I remember this thread from a while back, the 300d seems to be decent and still about £150 inc lens on fleebay for a decent one (i think I still have the flash file to make it a 10d).

Last edited by a moderator:
2 questions:

• Do you have a film-SLR? (FSLR is becoming the popular short hand)
  • what's your budget?
If you have an old FSLR camera, you can most likely use the lenses on a DSLR from the same manufacturer. Worth noting that Sony's A-mount lenses are the same fitting as old Konica-Minolta lenses.

Be aware that the cost of lenses for each manufacturer varies, and once you start buying lenses you are generally tying yourself into that marque, i.e. Canon lenses won't fit on a Nikon body, Nikon lenses won't fit on a Pentax body, and so on. Because you can keep the lenses when you upgrade the body, it is worth spending a bit more on quality optics when you start getting into the hobby. Also worth pointing out, whilst "Jack-of-all-trades" lenses, such as a 28-300mm zoom, have their place (e.g. less weight), you'll often get better pictures from a shorter zoom.

Complicating the lens market are the four-thirds cameras. These are "bridge" cameras that you can swap the lens on. However, the Samsung NX-mount is not compatible with the KAF2-mount that their DSLRs use (also used by Pentax DSLRs), and the Sony E-mount is not compatible with their A-mount.

In terms of budget; less than £300 you are probably looking at the second hand market. Don't just check on ebay, you can also find second hand DSLRs in local independents and the likes of Jessops and Cash Converters. If the number of shutter actuations is mentioned less than half of the average dead on this site is good. With a budget between £300 and 500, there are a plethora of entry level cameras from Canon, Sony, Pentax (go for the K-r over the K-x) and Nikon. Read the various reviews (dpreview.com is a personal fav for camera and lens reviews).

Unless you've used a FLSR or DSLR before I wouldn't spend more than £500 on your first...

Last edited:
My Mrs is just starting out so I got her a Lumix G2, awesome camera :)
I'm looking at getting one of those, I borrowed a friends G1 on a recent trip to paris and loved it, with 2 lenses I managed to get nearly every photo how I wanted it.
I read the manual on the plane and managed to get the program setting just right.

You can get one of these with a short and long lens (can not remember length) for sub £500, although it would probably be worth getting the GH1 or G2 now.

Jama

I'm looking at getting one of those, I borrowed a friends G1 on a recent trip to paris and loved it, with 2 lenses I managed to get nearly every photo how I wanted it.
I read the manual on the plane and managed to get the program setting just right.

You can get one of these with a short and long lens (can not remember length) for sub £500, although it would probably be worth getting the GH1 or G2 now.

Jama

mr dutcho paid upwards of £500 for mine but you can get them on ebay with the lens or just the camera body and in red like mine or blue or black, you can also buy a camera tripod for £12.00 from asda and lense filters from ebay

mr dutcho paid upwards of £500 for mine but you can get them on ebay with the lens or just the camera body and in red like mine or blue or black, you can also buy a camera tripod for £12.00 from asda and lense filters from ebay
Sorry I meant sub £500 for the G1, The G2 with the lenses is over £500.

Jama

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-G2-13-1-Megapixel-Digital-Camera-/270718295019?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item3f08115beb]Panasonic DMC-G2 13.1 Megapixel Digital Camera on eBay (end time 17-Mar-11 20:28:00 GMT)[/ame]

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-PANASONIC-LUMIX-DMC-G2-CAMERA-BLACK-G-14-42mm-SLK-/150561222712?pt=AU_Digital_Cameras&hash=item230e25f038]NEW PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-G2 CAMERA BLACK + G 14-42mm SLK on eBay (end time 12-Mar-11 04:28:53 GMT)[/ame]

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PANASONIC-G2-DIGITAL-COMPACT-CAMERA-LENS-RED-/330540985993?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item4cf5c72e89]PANASONIC G2 DIGITAL COMPACT CAMERA WITH LENS - RED on eBay (end time 10-Apr-11 15:42:16 BST)[/ame]

Technically the G1, GH1, G10, G2 and GH2 are not DSLR cameras, as they are mirror-less with an electronic viewfinder. This does keep the size and the weight down though.

However, that being said, if you are looking at a completely new setup (i.e no old lenses) they seem a decent alternative if you want as lightweight as possible whilst still being able to swap the lens as the situation suits. Be aware though, the micro four-thirds lenses the G Micro System range take, do not work with any of the current range of DSLRs should you decide to upgrade/sidegrade at a later date.

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot to mention it is not technically a dslr

Amazing pictures from it though.

The standard lens plus this one.

[ame]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PANASONIC-LUMIX-G-45-200mm-F4-5-6-F-4-5-6-OIS-LENS_W0QQitemZ140521662359QQcategoryZ30070QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem[/ame]

Allow you to take photos in nearly every day to day situation. But still give you enough range to play with.

I am by no means a photographer, far from it. But with that lens and the standard g1 lens and the g1 I got very professional photos

If you like I will put some of Paris up so you can see what a guy who can just use a camera can do.

Hope im helping rather than babbling

Jama

If you want a DSLR I have a Sony A350 and Sony A700 both amazing cameras in their own right and lenses are readily available. My cameras are in mint condition and only reason for sale is I have switched to Canon.

They should be listed in the Sales section

Back